Re: [ide-dev] Why we dropped Eclipse in favour of IntelliJ | Java Code Geeks

When it comes to OSS, very few large companies have the maturity level
that Ericsson or others have, and in those not-too-OSS-savvy companies it
is easier for a manager to ask for a finite budget to purchase tools (and
remember also that they will get a significant discount), than having the
discussion to hire in house developers or consultant to fix or build the
tool they need.
On top of that when you buy a tool, you get immediate result, and if
something goes wrong you get professional support and don’t have to wait
for a committer to answer (because remember that nobody will ever be
committer on all projects so even if I’m committer on project A I will
still use project B).

Over the years of being involved with commercial software tools, I have
always been surprised by the amount of people who were ready to spend
money even on a free tool, either to buy “piece of mind”, to ensure
continued improvement of the tool, fix some minor glitches, etc. In fact
some companies are even be ready to pay for new features to be developed
in the OSS.
Unfortunately at Eclipse we don’t offer that in any form or others.

Earlier we were talking about how to fund developers at the foundation? I
think that if the foundation was willing to sell Eclipse support, then
this would most likely pay for a couple developers and support ppl, etc.
that could contribute to improve the status quo and hear first-hand of the
users problem (and those that we get in bugs are not representative of the
mass of developers behind corporate doors, for example how many
ericsson.com email addresses do we have in BZ when ericsson internally has
over 10,000 eclipse users).
I realize that there is chicken-and-egg problem with that approach, but
imo it worth being tried.