Re: [glassfish-dev] GlassFish support for JPMS

All the Jakarta EE APIs provided by GlassFish 7 are already JPMS modules. So, in theory, your application can be modules and can require those Jakarta EE modules already with GlassFish 7 and Jakarta EE 10.

However, in practice, the application needs to be loaded by a classloader that supports modules, so that modules in the WAR/EAR are recognized. This isn't yet implemented in GlassFish, which means that your application would be loaded without the JPMS modules functionality, its classes and resources would be added to the single unnamed module. So, currently, you can benefit from JPMS modules at build time, if you only need Jakarta EE APIs and no GlassFish-specific APIs. But at runtime, modules will be ignored and everything will end up on the classpath, in the unnamed module.

There's currently no roadmap for loading JPMS modules by GlassFish from deployed applications. It definitely would be a useful feature so that applications can fully benefit from JPMS. However, as David wrote, We at OmniFish first focus on adding stability and improvements for production usage of GlassFish and we can address new features like JPMS module support only at some later time.

All the best,
Ondro Mihalyi

Director, Jakarta EE expert
OmniFish - Jakarta EE Consulting & Support | www.omnifish.ee
Omnifish OÜ, Narva mnt 5, 10117 Tallinn, Estonia | VAT: EE102487932