Re: [gef-dev] GEF3 resurrection

Hallo Matthias, team,

I have spent quite some time on maintaining the GEF-legacy code base in the past, and I know its quite a complex task, where mistakes are easily made. While Serge and Alois might feel responsible for the legacy code base, and while Lars might do likewise for the release management, as a project lead I will be ultimately responsible if anything gets stuck, and I know I will feel obliged to step in. But, to be honest, I really do not want to spent any efforts on reviving a code base, whose replacement I have spent so much effort on (and for which I have so intensively fought).

As the restructuring, which would have been my favored solution, does not seem to be the generally preferred one, I think it is best if you, Matthias, continue to lead on this transition, as you have already done so far.

I will take the opportunity to resign from the project lead role, without any grief. As my personal focus has shifted in the last couple of years, and I did not find the time to really push GEF forward any further, this step is actually long overdue.

I am thus fine with your proposal, but, when starting the committer election as proposed, please also recall me as co-project lead.

Best Regards,
Alexander