Re: [gef-dev] GEF3 resurrection

Hey,

it is nice to see some action here :-)

@Lars: Yes, I think that is the way to go. Thank you for offering your support with the uncomfortable stuff ;-) Maybe we need Serge and Alois to bring in a few contributions first, before we do an election, but I would also be fine with skipping directly to an election TBH.

@Serge: It would be nice if you could try to answer Alexander's question "Do you plan to actively contribute to the GEF project as a whole, or do you just feel obliged to GEF-legacy?". I am also very interested in the answer.
Of course, I would like to see you try to bring features from GEF 5 into an improved GEF 3 (the idea you touch on in the presentation, IIUC?).

Best regards,
Matthias

On Thu, Feb 17, 2022 at 10:19 AM Pierre-Charles David <pierre-charles.david@xxxxxxx> wrote:
Le 16/02/2022 à 17:11, Serge Rider a écrit :
> Hi Team!
>
> I am from the DBeaver development team (https://dbeaver.io). We
> develop the universal database management tool based on the Eclipse
> RCP platform.
> Besides other Eclipse RCP extensions, we heavily rely on legacy
> GEF/draw2d.
>
> I was a speaker on several recent Eclipse Cons, the last session was
> about legacy GEF adoption:
> https://www.eclipsecon.org/2021/sessions/diagrams-eclipse-rcp-back-future
> https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=3ZIUB2XFDLE
>
> What we want is to resurrect GEF3 maintenance and include it back to
> the standard Eclipse RCP lifecycle.
> We have several PRs we'd like to merge in the codebase (currently we
> maintain all fixes in our forked repository on GitHub). We also want
> to propose legacy API improvements (keeping  API backward
> compatibility) and several features.

Hi.

This is great news, thanks for the initiative Serge! (Thanks for DBeaver
btw, I use it almost every day and it's a great tool).

As the maintainer of GMF Runtime, I'd like to remind that *a lot* of
projects depend on GEF Legacy (via GMF Runtime or not). In the SimRel
alone there's Graphiti, Sirius (and Capella, even if it's not in the
SimRel), Papyrus, Ecore Tools, and probably others.

Of course improvements would be welcome, and we (in GMF and Sirius) may
able to propose some fixes/improvements we've currently had to make in
our own copies of GEF classes like you, but care must be taken not to
break the many projects which depend on the current behavior (sometimes
in subtle ways).

Regards,
Pierre-Charles David