[etrice-dev] My Understanding of the Idea : Error Markers and Quick Fixes in State Chart Diagrams

Hi everyone,

I wanted to participate in the Google Summer of Code 2013 under the Eclipse Foundation for eTrice and have been working on the idea "Provide Error Markers and Quick Fixes in State Chart Diagrams".

I wanted to share my understanding of the project idea and how the implementation could be carried out, along with a few examples of similar features I found in other editors. As such I have compiled a wiki page[1] of my own for the purpose of sharing the same.

It would be great if you could please go through the given wiki page and could point out any flaws in my understanding of the project ideas. I have also provided some suggestions regarding how the exact rendering of the error markers and quick fixes on the diagram editor could be done as well as a steps-by-step procedure for implementing the complete idea. Your suggestions and criticisms could greatly help me in understanding the challenges involved more thoroughly.

Also, I have a few queries/requests regarding the project which are as follows :-
  1. I am having some difficulty in producing an example where I could see the generation of the error markers, the info markers as well as the list of proposals in the textual editor. Having such an example could greatly help in enhancing the understanding of the project as well as of the present code (by means of debugging). So, if possible, could some direction be given in this regard ?
  2. In the Blinky tutorial, I found an instance of generation of the error marker (Unreachable state/point of graph) for the Blinking state, but couldn't possibly understand the semantic reason behind it. Could it be elaborated a bit ?
  3. I have provided a few different suggestion in the wiki section "Capturing the Warning and Info Message" and "Exact Rendering Details". It would be great to receive some suggestion regarding them.
  4. What other deliverables will this project have apart from error/info markers & quick fixes in the behavior graphical editor, and those listed in wiki?
  5. What according to you would be a good division of the work and the timeline for this project ?
Currently, I am trying to go through the present code of abstract model execution and also review Graphiti a bit. I would let you know my further development & ideas regarding the same.

I would be highly obliged if you could please review the wiki and also provide some directions regarding the above queries. I apologize for the huge mail as well as the huge wiki.

Thanking you for your precious time.

Regards,
Jayant Gupta
(Applicant for GSoC Project  "eTrice: Provide Error Markers and Quick Fixes in State Chart Diagrams")

[1] http://www.wikihost.org/w/errormarkers_quickfixes/start - Personal Wiki Page for Error Markers and Quick Fixes in State Chart Diagrams.

Back to the top