Re: [embed-cdt-dev] Introduction

On 4/13/20, Liviu Ionescu <ilg@xxxxxxxxxx> wrote:

>> On 13 Apr 2020, at 20:51, Donald Wilde <dwilde1@xxxxxxxxx> wrote:
>>
>> I love the M7 chip!
>
> Yes, it is a nice device.
>
>> ... I started with STD-bus boards with 8031 8-bitters
>
> After 8080/z80, I also did some PICs and AVRs, but since I discovered the
> Cortex-M family, I never looked back.

Hear, hear! I did Z8s and Z80a's back in the 80s... I thought I was
hot stuff... my first SBC had an Intel 8086 sixteen-bitter but what I
sold in the computer stores were Osborne and Kaypro CP/M Z80's.

>> responded to a recruiter query about a Qualcomm Snapdragon, another
>> similar ARM chip.
>
> I guess those devices are from the Unix league, very interesting, but
> somehow outside the main scope of my projects.

Actually, Qualcomm's focus is phones and cameras. ARM A is PC-type
chip with MMU, M-type and F-type are micro-controllers. Snapdragon 865
m is very similar to M7.

>>> So, if you are interested, I suggest to take a look at the SiFive RISC-V
>>> template plug-in, since this is the model I plan to use for the new
>>> template
>>> projects.
>>
>> I actually looked into the SiFive RISC-V chip a while back -- I haunt
>> eetimes.com regularly -- and I'll be glad to look at your ecosystem
>> templates.
>
> As I said, do not go into the specifics of the SiFive devices, the content
> of those templates is quite old, now there are other devices too, and the
> RISC-V specs are evolving.

Our focus is the tool set, yet. Not a problem; that's what I'm here for.

> I'm interested in feedback on the general design. I can go into detail, but
> I'd prefer to do it on the forum, after having your feedback.
>

> Another things for you to check is to follow the blinky tutorial, up to
> getting the emulated board blink the leds, and let me know what do you
> think.

I did that already, with the ST version of the tools. Most of their
stuff is just marketing wrapped around the Eclipse tools and demos.

> And, since you said you have C++ experience, you might also take a look at
> the µOS++ project, which I plan to use for the templates, along with
> FreeRTOS.

Yes, I will.

> Looking forward to continue the dialogue in the forums.

We will. I stripped you off the response so you wouldn't get 2 copies,
but when you reply it adds your address back in.

--
Don Wilde

"Social programming generates beliefs, beliefs create attitudes,
attitudes cause feelings, feelings cause us to act, and actions
produce results -- good or bad." -- adapted from "What to Say When You
Talk to Yourself," by Shad Helmstetter, Ph. D.

Back to the top