Re: [embed-cdt-dev] Introduction

On 4/13/20, Liviu Ionescu <ilg@xxxxxxxxxx> wrote:

>> On 13 Apr 2020, at 16:34, Donald Wilde <dwilde1@xxxxxxxxx> wrote:
>>
>> Hello, Liviu!
>>
>> Hope I can help you make this better!
>
> Hello Don, thank you, any help is highly appreciated!
>
>> I am currently working with a
>> STM32 NUCLEO-F746-ZG board with an M7 on it, using the ST-supported
>> tool set and FreeRTOS.
>
> Yes, that's a good platform to experiment with.
>
> My workhorse is STM32F4DISCOVERY, since it is more common.
>
>> What do you need help with first?
>
> Good question...
>
>> I use Ubuntu Linux as my desktop,
>> but I have a Doze10 partition as well.
>
> I use macOS and lots of virtual machines, and even more docker images.
>
> Right now we are in the middle of the migration process to Eclipse
> Foundation, there are mainly legal issues to solve, I don't think we can do
> much to speed this up.
>
> As for priorities, I have so many sub-projects started in parallel, that I
> don't know which one to handle first.
>
> From the Eclipse plug-ins point of view, I think that a refurbish of the
> STM32F templates, or, in general, all Cortex-M templates, is long due.

I love the M7 chip! It's mind-blowing how powerful and cheap that
board is. I started with STD-bus boards with 8031 8-bitters on them
that cost over a $grand apiece. Haven't dug into the smaller F4, but
it's good to know that we have a cross-section of experience. I just
responded to a recruiter query about a Qualcomm Snapdragon, another
similar ARM chip.

> So, if you are interested, I suggest to take a look at the SiFive RISC-V
> template plug-in, since this is the model I plan to use for the new template
> projects.

I actually looked into the SiFive RISC-V chip a while back -- I haunt
eetimes.com regularly -- and I'll be glad to look at your ecosystem
templates.

> The Eclipse plug-in is actually a wrapper over the CLI template, that can be
> instantiated outside Eclipse:
>
> 	https://github.com/micro-os-plus/sifive-templates-xpack
>
> You don't have to spend much time on the RISC-V specifics, but I would
> appreciate any help on the general design.
>

> If you have any feedback, please let me know, preferably via the project
> forum.

We'll be talking! :D
--
Don Wilde

"Social programming generates beliefs, beliefs create attitudes,
attitudes cause feelings, feelings cause us to act, and actions
produce results -- good or bad." -- adapted from "What to Say When You
Talk to Yourself," by Shad Helmstetter, Ph. D.