Re: [ee4j-community] Committers don't have to contribute code

Company logos show up on project pages when:
  • The company is a member of the Eclipse Foundation;
  • The company has provided their logo to the Eclipse Foundation; and
  • At least one employee of the company is a committer on the project and has pushed at least one commit into any branch of any project repository in the last three months.
So yes. If you want your company logo to appear on a project page, you need to have a committer that actually pushes commits. Note listing a committer as an "Also-by" entry in a Git Commit counts (make sure that you get the email address right). So a committer can give credit to a collaborator when pushing a commit.

The process that builds the chart data only knows what it finds in the Git repository, so some "bot" users will appear. I can filter them out if I know about them. I'll see what I can do about the "genie" users. Similar to logos, only member companies show up in the charts. "Contributor" groups non-committer contributors together; "Unaffiliated" groups together those committers who do not work for a member company.

I'm not sure what you're asking with your last statement. The charts and the list of companies is generated exclusively by the criteria that I've set above. Having your company logo/name appear on a project page is a benefit of membership with the Eclipse Foundation (independent of any working group affiliation).

FWIW, developers need to earn their way to committer status on a project by demonstrating merit. Employment status or employer affilication is not an accepted criterion for becoming a committer (nor is a change in affiliation a reason to retire a committer).

HTH,

Wayne