Re: [ee4j-community] Red Hat committment to EE4J

On Mon, Oct 16, 2017 at 1:06 PM, Mark Little <mlittle@xxxxxxxxxx> wrote:

> We will remain active in other JSRs and help with new efforts where it makes
> sense. But the community has to also step forward and help make this a
> success because if it remains solely in the hands of the vendors then maybe
> we should just roll everything back.

I completely agree that the community needs to step up, and we can get
the word out and encourage people to step up.

However, I also feel that this is a 2-way street. There are certain
things that are all-but impossible for the community to do, and which
vendors are better placed to help with.

For example - money. Running an open-source project the size of EE4J
isn't free. The Eclipse folks are going to need some admin staff,
perhaps some paralegal time, possibly travel budget, etc. I think
vendors, as profit-making entities, should be sending a clear signal
by stepping up and giving a commitment to covering those costs.

Mike - can you give us an indication of what you think EE4J will need
as a budget, and whether it's currently covered?

Apologies if this has already been covered & I've missed it - but it
certainly hasn't filtered through in the messaging about this I've
been getting.

Thanks,

Ben

Back to the top