RE: [eclipse.org-planning-council] Release train wiki pages

John, et al,

You may likely be interested in knowing that as per the Bylaws[1], the three Councils (Requirements, Planning, Architecture) are actually defined as being part of the Eclipse Management Organization (EMO). In other words, I do agree that stating "The Eclipse Foundation produces a simultaneous release"  is appropriate. An alternate formulation could be "The Eclipse Foundation and its projects produce a simultaneous release".

I hope that helps.

[1] http://www.eclipse.org/org/documents/Eclipse%20BYLAWS%202008_07_24%20Final.pdf see pages 16-18

I was also asked if it is correct to say "The Eclipse Foundation produces a simultaneous release". I think this is right, as I believe the planning council and committer members are "part of" the Eclipse Foundation. We tend to equate "Eclipse Foundation" with "Eclipse Management Organization (EMO)", but I think these are distinct entities (the EMO being a small but important element of the overall Foundation). Am I splitting hairs here? Would it be better to say "The Eclipse community produces a simultaneous release"? This doesn't seem right either, as anybody using or talking about Eclipse is in some way part of the Eclipse community. Please dive in to correct me here...

Back to the top