Re: [eclipse.org-eclipsecon-program-committee] Category Evaluations

Whenever you have a box there ensues a discussion over what is in the box and what is out.  More boxes => more discussion.

I like the idea of having fewer categories.  We have in the past seemingly gotten hung up on the program structure resembling the project structure. I would combine the first two in your list.

On a related note, it is important to understand what we are talking about here.  In earlier EclipseCon's the categories were something used in the submissions system.  They did not really surface to the conference attendees.  We had the ability for people to define their own tracks etc.  Seems like we morphed into surfacing the categories as tracks.  So are these categories that the PC works in? For the submissions system? Do conference attendees see them?

For the internals this is fine.  I suspect we will end up with various people taking responsibility for talks in particular subsections of these categories but that seems natural.  For consumers this categorization is quite course.  Someone mentioned tagging as a way of helping people get a grip on the content.  Good plan.  I would suggest we go back to a more fluid "define your own track" approach and us tagging.  To help drive that we get key people in the community can define tracks and so not everyone has to role their own.

Jeff

Scott Rosenbaum wrote:
I was reading my newsreader (procrastinating on sending this email) when I came across a review by Guy Kawasaki of a book that he really likes.  Basically it provides 50 ideas that have been proven in the lap and business applications.  In reading the review I came across this nugget:

2. Researchers found that the more options offered in a company retirement plan, the fewer people participate in that plan. Similarly, when experimenters offered only six flavors of jam, 30% of the people who approached the display bought any jam. When the experimenters offered 24 flavors, only 3% bought some. Therefore, instead of trying to offer every color, size, and price point of gizmo, you might want to reduce the choices to increase sales.

Just substitute jam for category.

I would like to see the number of overall categories to be reduced from the current twenty-one down to five.  The best I could come up with was six categories, but I am sure that we can figure out how to get down to five.  Have a look at my proposal and let me know what you think.  How do we go from 6 to 5?  If you don't feel that this organization does your category, please provide an alternative.  (As long as you consider all the categories and not just yours).

For your convenience, I have listed all of the original categories first.  Then I have my proposal with a mapping of the current talks into the new categories.

CURRENT CATEGORIES
    E4
    Business
    Industry
    Director's Choice
    Committer and Contributor
    Other
    OSGi DevCon
    Runtime
    Java
    C/C++
    Tools
    Data Tooling
    Emerging Technology
    Mobile/Embedded
    Modeling
    Eclipse as a Platform
    RCP
    Reporting
    SOA
    Test & Performance
    Web Tools

PROPOSED CATEGORIES
    Runtime Platform  (E4, Runtime, OSGi)
    UI Platform (E4, RCP)
    IDE Platform and Languages (Java, C/C++, Tools, Web Tools)
    Applied Eclipse (Data Tooling, Reporting, Modeling, SOA, TPTP)
    Emerging Technologies
    Eclipse Business (Committer and Contrib, Business, Industry, Director's Choice, Other)

Scott