Re: [eclipse-dev] Deleting old branches from eclipse.platform.ui

We talked about this briefly on the PMC call last week. There is no formal policy but there was general agreement with what the UI component is doing. Developers can delete their own private branches, and component leads can delete old private branches created by people who are no longer committers. Official maintenance streams must never be deleted. Creating a tag corresponding to the branch tip is recommended to avoid losing commits. Pushing deletion of branches requires shell access so you will need to open a bug against platform releng to coordinate the change if you don't have a shell account.

John

From:        Szymon Ptaszkiewicz <szymon.ptaszkiewicz@xxxxxxxxxx>
Date:        03/11/2013 05:07 AM
Subject:        Re: [eclipse-dev] Deleting old branches from eclipse.platform.ui
Sent by:        eclipse-dev-bounces@xxxxxxxxxxx

What do you think about running similar cleanup procedure against other
repos?

Szymon

From:                 Paul Webster <pwebster@xxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxx>
To:                 "Eclipse Platform UI component developers list."
           <platform-ui-dev@xxxxxxxxxxx>, "General development mailing
           list of the Eclipse project." <eclipse-dev@xxxxxxxxxxx>
Date:                 2013-03-05 14:01
Sent by:                 eclipse-dev-bounces@xxxxxxxxxxx

Bug 402271 - Delete outdated branches in Platform/UI

We have a *lot* of old branches in our platform ui repo, in effect
committer topic branches from the CVS days.  They create a lot of clutter.
So on Monday, March 11, 2013 I'm going to delete them completely from our
repo.

Comments on the bug are welcome.

PW

--