Re: [eclipse-dev] Planning Meeting Post-Notes - 2 May 2012

> One of the advantages to being based on Maven/Tycho is that developers can run the build (or a portion of it) on their own box before making a commit.  Much better than commit-and-pray.

This is possible with PDE build too, basically an "on demand" HEAD build, either on Hudson or on your own machine. Its just no one has ever focused on it before. But, we (Platform Team) could do that right now, with the changes I (and Kim before me) have made to run on build.eclipse.org. (But, I'll admit, I don't know what you mean by "a portion of it", there's no easy way (with PDE N-build) to say "build just JDT UI", for example ... though, I'm sure there could be :) given some "operational definition" as to what that would mean). Not  to mention, I'm sure all platform developers have good targets defined in their PDE runtime targets and essentially are "building all the time" in their workspace :)

I'm not trying to "argue" the merits of one versus the other ... I just didn't want myths about PDE to get started.

Inactive hide details for Brian de Alwis ---05/03/2012 09:46:46 AM---On 3-May-2012, at 7:05 AM, Daniel Megert wrote: > i.e. theBrian de Alwis ---05/03/2012 09:46:46 AM---On 3-May-2012, at 7:05 AM, Daniel Megert wrote: > i.e. they could simply be generated on the fly by