Re: [eclipse-dev] Planning Meeting Notes - Jan 17, 2007

> - Dynamic help view updated to use the F
> [ed.: I'm dying to know that "the F" is.]

Er... Obviously I failed to convert the quick notes from our meeting to a
readable line for the status here :-). The line should read: 'Dynamic help
view updated to use the new Forms rendering and colors', or 'the F' in
short :-).

Regards,

Dejan Glozic, Ph.D.
Manager, Eclipse Development 1A
D1/R0Q/8200/MKM
IBM Canada Ltd.
Tel. 905 413-2745  T/L 969-2745
Fax. 905 413-4850

             Mike
             Wilson/Ottawa/IBM
             @IBMCA                                                     To
             Sent by:                  eclipse-dev@xxxxxxxxxxx
             eclipse-dev-bounc                                          cc
             es@xxxxxxxxxxx
                                                                   Subject
                                       [eclipse-dev] Planning Meeting
             01/17/2007 10:00          Notes - Jan 17, 2007
             AM

             Please respond to
                 "General
                development
              mailing list of
                the Eclipse
                 project."
             <eclipse-dev@ecli
                 pse.org>

----------
 Outreach
----------

- Darin attended and presented at DSDP meeting in Toronto:
  - 32 attendees from 9 companies
  -
http://wiki.eclipse.org/index.php/DSDP/DD/Face-to-face_Toronto_9-10-Jan-2007

  - presented 3.3 asynch viewer framework, debug command handlers,
    and launch framework enhancements
  - Wind River is working on a contribution for debug view "pin & clone"
    support (bug 145635)

------------------
 Discussion Topic
------------------

Runtime:
- Build notes.  Most components have either stale build notes, or they
  just contain bugzilla queries that consumers can do themselves.  There
  is also very little consistency between components.  What should build
  notes contain?  Is there a way we can structure our build notes that
  minimizes the pain of updating them while maximizing community benefit?
  Should we scrap them entirely and just have an ongoing draft of New &
  Noteworthy included with each build?

--------
 Status
--------

Platform UI:
- presentations:
  - investigating tab improvements
  - updated progress icon
- 3.2.2:
 - testing
 - bug fixing
 - Vista verification
- search dialogs:
  - type dialog patch for JDT applied
  - patch for JDT debug waiting for applying
  - manual tests description added
  - automated tests are in progress
- status handling:
  - API improving
  - automated tests in progress
  - manual test prepared waiting for adding the error dialog
  - default error dialog in progress
- editors:
  - background save
- menus:
  - test harness
  - API work
- animations:
  - started work on a reusable animation manager
- trim:
 - general improvements
- launcher:
  - new splash and launcher
  - new launcher API

Debug:
- work in progress for context sensitive launch support (bug 74480)

JDT UI:
- jdt.junit and jdt.junit.runtime are now jar'ed
- cleaning up plugin.xml, removing dependencies to runtime.compatibility
- reviewed and released the Java open type dialog based on the
  FilteredItemsSelectionDialog
- started work on import/export JUnit test runs
- tweaks to 'rename refactoring in editor'
- working on undo for Clean Up on save (bug 163806)
- 3.2.2 testing & fixes

Platform/JDT Text:
- 3.2.2 test pass:
  - no regressions detected
- added favorite static members support to content assist
- corrected wrong indentation on several preference pages
- inbox tracking
- bug fixing

Runtime:
- API tooling
- finalizing OSGi 4.1 framework reference implementation for the
  OSGi 4.1 release
- eclipse launcher work
- fixing java webstart bugs on Java 6
- removing core.resources reliance on core.runtime.compatibility
- M5 planning:
  - available on the Equinox wiki
- 3.2.2 testing
- shovelling snow
- bug triage
- bug fixing
- determined naming conventions for Ant and JUnit bundles and contributed
  them to Orbit

JDT Core:
- 3.2.2 test pass:
  - so far looks good
- challenging Harmony development scenario for testing (new) support for
  missing binaries
- compiler can now detect unused local types (as opposed to only private
  types up until now)
- compiler is now better able to detect unused private constructors, it
  now tolerates more than the private constructor with no parameter as the
  known pattern for blocking instantiation
  - also see bug 163443
- code assist can propose import statements
- code assist propose completions computed from a list a favorite