Re: [eclipse-dev] Your plug-in may be a liability if...: ACTION REQUIRED/ACTION REQUISE

Hi Max,

What I'm just "nagging" about is that from my understanding when
I run an eclipse workbench from inside eclipse i'm not running under the
same restrictions as if I started eclipse normally (especailly ALL classes are
available to me, even though its not listed in the plugin.xml).

So I would only discover any missing package exports by starting eclipse
standalone - which is not something I do every day while developing.

/max

I find that a side benefit of doing unit tests in separate plugins that depend on the plugins they test, is that the plugin's dependencies are also checked. If your tests are able to run, then you have the correct dependencies set up (or your tests are trivial).

If the test is headless (does not need a UI) it runs very quickly (typically less than 10 seconds for simple plugins), so you get immediate feedback on any issues with your dependencies.

-- Steen

Steen Lehmann
Software Engineer Consultant
Novell Identity Applications Group