Re: [eclipse-dev] Your plug-in may be a liability if...: ACTION REQUIRED/ACTION REQUISE

On Thu, 07 Apr 2005 15:49:41 +0200, Jeff McAffer <Jeff_McAffer@xxxxxxxxxx> wrote:

Max,

I think there is some confusion here.  Plugin A contains some packages
declares exports for them.  Plugin B needs some of the packages so
declares imports for them or "requires"  A.  If A is free to add packages
to its export list without affecting B. B does not have to change. A can remove exports but should be mindful of API implications. Again this does
not affect B (as long as it can still be resolved).

The magic of plugins is that they know what they have (their exports) and
they know that they need (imports/requires).  These lists for A are
independent of the lists for B.  Are we talking about the same thing?

Yes - or at least I think so ,)

I follow your arguments for keeping api's strict.

What I'm just "nagging" about is that from my understanding when
I run an eclipse workbench from inside eclipse i'm not running under the
same restrictions as if I started eclipse normally (especailly ALL classes are
available to me, even though its not listed in the plugin.xml).

So I would only discover any missing package exports by starting eclipse
standalone - which is not something I do every day while developing.

/max

As for the tooling, in mere days the full power of PDE will come to bear
on the classpath and give you control over what you see.  In fact, even
today the classpath that PDE manages only exposes the things that you
export.  Coming is the ability to change to a strict mode where the
"internal" exports are not visible either.  I think you will find that
PDE's modelling of the classpath is pretty good (Note it will not be
perfect.  That would require very significant effort for marginal
incremental gain).

Jeff

"Max Rydahl Andersen" <max.andersen@xxxxxxxxx>
Sent by: eclipse-dev-bounces@xxxxxxxxxxx
04/07/2005 08:32 AM
Please respond to
"General development mailing list of the Eclipse project."

"General development mailing list of the Eclipse project."
<eclipse-dev@xxxxxxxxxxx>
cc

Subject
Re: [eclipse-dev] Your  plug-in may     be      a       liability if...:
ACTION  REQUIRED/ACTION REQUISE

practice. What
is the problem with that? After all, as you say in the end, you are
developing
plugins.

This explicit listing of packages are a pain since:

 From my understanding plugins will not be possible to access any new
packages added to some of the libraries without updating the plugin.xml
(and that is bad if users should be allowed to update the dependent
library without
needing to mess with package names)

And when you run the workbench from inside PDE you have access to all
classes/packages
in your PDE project no matter what the plugin.xml says....at least that is
my current experience.
Meaning that you will not discover any classloading issues until you start
from a total clean eclipse,
which wont happen very often while you develop.

/max

Max Rydahl Andersen
callto://max.rydahl.andersen

Hibernate