Re: [eclipse-dev] Testing on 2.6 kernels

I do not know of any Linux 2.6 specific issues, although the performance
characteristics are probably quite different.

On August 24, 2004 01:41 pm, Robb, Sam wrote:
>   - Does this list reflect the only platforms that have seen any
>     sort of formal testing effort?

This list reflects the platforms that we formally support.  If problems
specific to unsupported platforms are discovered, they can be given lower
priority than those that exist on supported platforms.  As of yet, I haven't
ever seen this happen.

That said, we tend to informally test on more recent versions of software.
For example, the Platform UI team has one team member running GTK+ 2.4.4, KDE
3.2.3 and Linux 2.6.7 (Gentoo).  By informal, I mean that the developers run
their team's test suites on their own machines, but that the build process
does not run on those configurations.

>     - Red Hat 9

Yes.  This is the configuration used by the majority of Platform UI's Linux
developers (at the moment).

>   - Is there any recommended procedure for doing basic Eclipse
>     testing on a new platform (is is enough to run the existing
>     unit tests and validate pass/fail)?

It is not enough to run the unit tests, but this is a good start.  It is
generally a good idea to actually use the set-up for a while, as some
problems can be more visual.

>   - If we were to perform basic Eclipse testing for a new platfrom
>     (ex, those listed above), is there a proceedure for making
>     this information available for others via the Eclipse site,
>     e.g. as a verified but unsupported platform?

I do not know the answer to this question.

Even more interesting than distribution is the configuration of the machine.
For example, I know that users of the Ion window manager have an interesting
time trying to use Eclipse.  Other things that have caused fun in the past:
NFS mounts, remote X sessions, choice of window manager, choice of GTK+
theme, colour set-up in KDE, etc.

cheers,
d.

Back to the top