Re: [eclipse-dev] Combo packages proposal

On Thu, Feb 12, 2004 at 08:05:17AM -0500, Jeff McAffer wrote:

> We have been battling with the packaging issue for years (literally).  For
> every person that asks for the combo pack, there is some one complaining
> that the SDK is too big.  For every person who wants WebTools, or VEP or,
> ... there are people who don't.

That is the wrong approach, IMHO. What we want is a way to put the
dependencies into plugin.xml, so when you install some component X
which depends on Y, the update/install process will check if Y is
installed (in the correct version) and if not, it will flag that
for an update, too.

This approach would allow to make Eclipse even smaller: You install
the core and then, you just select "JDK" or "WebTools" and get just
that.

The relevant information for this to work should be:

- Name of the dependency
- Min. version requirement
- Max. version (optional)
- Update site where this component can be found.
  Users should be able to overide this.

Also, packages which have OS specific parts should automatically
download the parts they need plus they should offer the user to
download other OSs.

So when I need "SWT", I would get the version I absolutely need
plus I would be able to get versions for the other OSs for which
I will also deploy. These should be copied as installable
archives somewhere in Eclipse and I should be able to say in
a project "deploy this for Win, Linux and AIX".

Sidenote: I would prefer a central registry of update sites
and Eclipse should come with some update sites pre-installed
(at least the Eclipse.org site should be in there).

http://www.philmann-dark.de/

Back to the top