[eclipse-dev] WinFX and Eclipse

The next major version of Windows will support a new programming API called WinFX. Between RCP and SWT, Eclipse is on the cutting edge of Java clients that support full native capabilities, especially on Windows. But not counting projects like IKVM.NET, I don't see anyone addressing .NET interoperability (and by association, WinFX).

In the WinInfo newsletter, Paul Thurrott writes: "WinFX is a complete replacement for the Win32 API that developers target today... WinFX also exposes other new functionality in Longhorn, including the WinFS storage-engine capabilities, the Aero UX, the Avalon graphics engine, and the Indigo Web services". Win32 will continue to be supported (so Eclipse will keep running) but it sounds like one would need to use the new APIs to get to the new functionality. So this seems like it will be important going forward in order to continue to create native-looking and -working clients with the Eclipse/RCP code base.

My question is: has anyone thought about what this will mean for Eclipse and Java, and what changes will be needed to exploit the new APIs for both the Core and the UI?

Back to the top