[eclipse-dev] freebsd build

What are the chances of getting a native FreeBSD build of
eclipse?  At the least getting the "sourceBuild" download
to include FreeBSD support?

I have compiled a native FreeBSD version of eclipse.  The
support for rebuilding the native binary components is
confusing (non-existent?), but I managed to build each of
the required libraries and the launcher.  I started from
the Linux-GTK build, and made a FreeBSD-GTK build.  The
only source modification was to update.cpp in the
org.eclipse.update.core.linux package, and that change was
only replacing two #includes with two different #includes.

-# include <sys/types.h>
-# include <sys/statfs.h>
+# include <sys/param.h>
+# include <sys/mount.h>

I do not understand the build system for the libraries, if
someone could explain it perhaps I could patch the
appropriate files.  I also do not understand the reason for
including prebuild dynamic binaries in a "source"
distribtion, though I could provide the req'd FreeBSD
libraries and launcher for inclusion if that is the decided
model for eclipse.  Eclipse would fit more nicely into the
FreeBSD ports tree if part of the source build process was
to (re)build the libraries ...

-James

Back to the top