[ecf-dev] service priority and weight

Hi,

what are the semantics behind priority and weight? I'm trying to map them to SLP and improve the Javadoc in the process. [1] defines them as:

Weight: A server selection mechanism. The weight field specifies a relative weight for entries with the same priority. Larger weights SHOULD be given a proportionately higher probability of being selected. The range of this number is 0-65535. This is a 16 bit unsigned integer in network byte order. Domain administrators SHOULD use Weight 0 when there isn't any server selection to do, to make the RR easier to read for humans (less noisy). In the presence of records containing weights greater than 0, records with weight 0 should have a very small chance of being selected.

Do we want to keep the same meaning? SLP does not define such properties but we could work around the protocol limitation by moving them into ECF service properties which are read from the generic SLP properties.

Cheers
Markus

[1] http://www.ietf.org/rfc/rfc2782.txt

Back to the top