RE: [ecf-dev] SharedObjects over XMPP

Hi Scott,
> Thanks so much for doing this summary...it looks excellent .  In fact,
> with some additions and minor tweaks I would like to add it as an ECF
> wiki page at
>
> http://wiki.eclipse.org/Eclipse_Communication_Framework_Project
>
> And then link to it from the FAQ, other docs, etc.  Would this be OK
> with all of you?  It would make a tremendous community contribution.
> Note it would have to be under the Eclipse Public License (as all
> materials in the eclipse wiki are).

We are very glad to accept! We wrote the notes for helping ourselves to
learn about ECF and to have feedback and we are pleased to have something to
contribute back to the community (after polishing, of course: the notes have
been written in brief amount of time and the English is also needing
improvements).

Are you going to port them in the wiki? We have no access to the Eclipse
wiki ...

>  Welcome to the ECF team!

Thanks!!

> Documentation contributions are more than welcome for ECF, BTW...as
> like
> other volunteer projects we never have enough documentation, and our
> resources are limited.
>
> And RE: your statement at the bottom:  "An interesting improvement
> would
> be the construction of a Dynamic Proxy on top of the domain object to
> handle the sharing concern or just use an aspect to transparently
> decorate objects that are properly annotated".  I agree completely with
> you...this would be a *very* interesting addition.  Another aspect to
> this...we are soon going to be adding an r-OSGi-based
> (http://r-osgi.sourceforge.net/) implementation of the ECF
> remoteservices API, and r-OSGi uses ASM (http://asm.objectweb.org/) to
> create dynamic proxies.  Once approved via IP process, we can/could
> also use ASM to create dynamic sharedobject proxies as you describe.

I did know about the ASM library (I'm using it in a toy project of my own to
perform Google Guice ([1]) integration within the Eclipse adaptors hook [2],
but I'm working on it on my spare time so it is still in early stages).

We would like to perform class manipulation at load time (using ASM) but for
now we are using AspectJ to perform class enhancements at compile time.

I'm interested in the R-OSGi (I read a few papers about it) and I think that
(at least) I'm going to learn how to improve my ASM skills ;)

Thanks again and regards
Mario

[1] http://code.google.com/p/google-guice/
[2] http://wiki.eclipse.org/index.php/Adaptor_Hooks