Re: [ecf-dev] Using Namespaces, IDs etc.

Hi Erkki,

Erkki Lindpere wrote:
I'm going to start trying out a BBAPI rewrite using ECF and I have
some questions about how to best use ECF concepts like namespaces &
IDs.

So far it seems to me that when I have for example a phpBB provider,
it should have a namespace like "ecf.phpBB".

I thought of making several object classes of bulletin boards
"IIdentifiable": forums, threads, single posts, users (and some more).
So for example a forum's ID within the "ecf.phpBB" namespace could
have it's URL as the name i.e.
http://www.phpbb.com/phpBB/viewforum.php?f=26

Is this the right approach, or should IDs be used mainly for user accounts?

No, I think what you have in mind is the right approach. IDs/namespaces were originally intended to be used for identifying services (client/server), groups (peer groups), users (user IDs), and objects.

Another problem: if a user account's ID is represented by it's URL and
the URL is something like
http://www.phpbb.com/phpBB/profile.php?mode=viewprofile&u=183660 then:
if the login asks for only username and password, then the URL
representation (that contains the users numeric ID in phpBB) becomes
known after actually connecting and successfully logging in -- that
means it won't be known offline, but as I understand so far, ECF ID-s
should be fully defined offline as well? Or is it ok to make a network
connection while creating an ID?

Sure...it's OK to make a connection while creating an ID. Just implement in IDInstantiator.

Thanks.  Erkki please continue to let us know how we can help.

Scott

Erkki