Re: [che-dev] Making the registry field mandatory

On Mon, Apr 19, 2021 at 10:04 AM Thomas Mäder <tmader@xxxxxxxxxx> wrote:

> The reason is to enforce repeatable workspaces: if the registry is not explicitly specified Che, odo or any consumer of the devfile, will pick its default registry and the resulting workspace will depend on the local definition of the parent.

Two observations:

1. If the registry uri becomes mandatory, the separation of id and registry uri becomes meaningless and we can just have a 'uri' field.

Exactly

2. If we make the registry field mandatory, we lose the ability to override the registry. That is a loss of functionality. Did we talk to the folks working with customers whether that functionality is used in the field? Right now, talk is only about the "parent" field, but I would expect the discussion to extend to the plugin registry soon. Also, let's talk about how it would affect developing devfiles. If you co-develop the parent and the child devfile, overriding the registry would be useful.

I am not sure I understand the overriding use case. A devfile references a parent (or a plugin) defined at registry.devfile.io. If a user wants a different parent (or plugin) he should probably use a different devfile.

Back to the top