[atf-dev] Eval source branch

I created a branch eval_source_support containing the code for implementing debugging on code that is eval(). The branch contains the two debug plugins. We were attempting to implement John Bartons solution detecting eval. The design is described in John Bartons's document http://www.almaden.ibm.com/cs/people/bartonjj/fireclipse/test/DynLoadTest/WebContent/DynamicJavascriptErrors.htm. Another person on the team (Gino) wrote the code to detect a eval script and build a set of Java classes to represent the scripts and also did the basic restructure the ATF code to support eval. I spent some time trying debugger to work. I have the debugger also back to the point where it worked as well on non-eval code. The last thing that need to be done to special case when a breakpoint is set on PC 0 and the debugger code set a breakpoint on PC 0 try to determine that the eval source case. In this case the code needs to stop on a breakpoint and not resume. I still haven't even tried the eval code support yet.

There are a few things in John Barton write up that we didn't implement such an adding annotations or an optional parameter to the eval() to described. ATF doesn't parse the _javascript_, so it can't pick up an annotations though we may be able to do something now that we have JSDT. Things like this should probably be standardized maybe through the Open Ajax Alliance. It doesn't help to implement something that no Ajax Runtime plans to implement. As I remember our intent was to represent the eval script in the script
view.  A developer can double click on the script in the script view and then set a breakpoint.

I know that there has interest in the community for this support. Maybe someone in the community would like to pick it up and debug through thru remaining issues, cleanup the code, etc.

    Thanks
      Bob

Robert Goodman
IBM Emerging Technologies