Re: [atf-dev] Re: Mozilla Perspective needs Problems

Hi Adam. The problem with Mozilla does not normally happen in eclipse. The most recently activated window is placed on the tabs bar and given focus. What I observed was Mozilla hidden on the list to the right. However, I now believe that this was caused by the class-not-found problem: probably the window was not given focus because the creation sequence failed. (I did solve this problem using -clean).

The whole Internet ... sorry I was obtuse, I meant the GEF, EMF list of course. Anytime you use a new tool there are problems. Getting to and over those problems requires some amount of perseverance, esp. given that you have no idea if the new tool is actually going to be a win. Throwing more roadblocks dramatically cuts down the early adopters. You already have built-in issues in having so many third party dependencies, but at least users understand and appreciate them. The rest will just block adoption and frankly the window of opportunity will close very fast for ATF.

Red error markers are standard eclipse and work great. But at this point in ATF your tooltip info is minimal "syntax error". The real error message is only shown on the "Problems" view, which is not visible in the Mozilla perspective. Yes of course users can customize, but only if they know the view exists and how to customize. And eclipse with WTP is so complex now its hard to figure out how. Better to give good defaults.

You asked for suggestions, so here is one: think smaller. The tools for Javascript development are in sad shape: being able to click on an error in the javascript console and end up on a source line in eclipse would be a huge productivity boost; integrating the debugger would awesome. Truly beyond the pale would be dependency analysis. Integrating with J2EE/GEF/EMF/ETC/BLAH isn't going to make anyone pick up ATF because none of that matters for Web 2.0 systems. Ok, some of it matters, or all of it matters some of the time, but the architecture of Web 2.0 systems will be so different that we will need to develop new tools.

John.