Re: [atf-dev] Mozilla Browser popup error.

Ah...Good point. I was thinking only of being able to use the gecko engine + spidermonkey engine to programmaticly do typical browser-ish things...Like load this page..Do something with the dom. Plug into the spidermonkey environment and do some more things.

All of these things were only to try and attempt to create a full in-browser testing environment for _javascript_ based items. Rhino is awesome, but obviously doesn't complete the picture. Selenium requires my lazy programmer hands to fire up a browser which isn't ideal. XULRunner requires installing a seemingly duplicate codebase of the same mozilla shared objects/dll's/etc I ~thought~ my existing firefox/seamonkey/whatever might already have.

Unbelievably, IE actually has this functionality. Something called web scripting host where you can do(very much pseudo code):

env = new Env();
explorer=system.getApplication("iexplorer");
env.window=explorer ;

So, more or less - you can now have fully automated/in-browser unit tests with ie. A snippet of this can bee seen here http://svn.mochikit.com/mochikit/trunk/scripts/jscriptmochi.js .

Please keep in mind that I am completely ignorant of any actual inner workings of xulrunner and what comparisons there are between it and other mozilla based applications like firefox/seamonkey.