Re: [Wtp-wst-dev] XPath2 - bugs + tests

Hi

My answers are below.

W dniu 2011-10-12 22:51, Jesper Steen Møller pisze:
Hi Łukasz,

This is great!

For purposes of tracking and especially "IP tracking", we need to track this in Bugzilla. I'll go and create these, bug I'll need you to upload the diffs there. If you don't have an Eclipse Bugzilla account yet, you better get one now.
Ok, I will upload patches as soon as You open bugs in bugzilla.

As for the cause of the "holes" in the test and implementation, two reasons apply: 1) The tests are primarily from the W3C test suite, combined with the specific tests for bugs found, with contriutions from different individuals and companies. So while it covers a lot, it doesn't cover everything. We should add your findings back into the test suite, not just the Java version of it (I wish we had a better process for doing this)
What do you mean by saying "not just the Java version of it" ?
2) The implementation started as an academic clean room implementation but from an non-final version of the spec. When David Carver picked it up and work started under the Eclipse WTP umbrella, the focus was on correctness against the test suite, where we attacked it like a black box if it worked, and only took apart the failures. So, the horrible stuff like System.exit which obviously has NO place in a library, kept below the radar for quite a while, but was mostly removed in the 2.0 version this year, when every file was examined.

Maybe we should simple make search for every occurrence of System.exit function calls and replace them with some runtime exception.

Mukul, would you be interested in backporting Łukasz's bugs to the 1.x branch?

It is great to see community input to this project, and I'd love to hear about how you use the library (unless that's confidential...)

No, it is not confidential :). We created XBRL Formula Validator based on yours library. The whole specification (http://www.xbrl.org/Specification/formula/REC-2009-06-22/index.htm ) is based on XPath2.0. Currently we are moving to new API.
After finishing this process, we probably have to have some battle with performance of evaluating XPath expressions. Main thing, which distinguish our solution from other venders is that we are implemented runtime(online) validation of XBRL Formula. We have some taxonomies, which includes many XBRL Formulas and after changing single value in XBRL document we have to evaluate sometime thousands of XPath expressions.

Thanks,

Wojtek Diakowski
and
Łukasz Wycisk