Re: [wtp-releng] API Tooling

I haven't read the article yet, but If understand correctly the API Tooling will be doing the check on your local workspace (if you have it installed), but you don't have it installed you could still be doing check-ins without bumping the level of the plugin. The BVT check will still need to run to to ensure that this cases are covered.

Best Regards,
-- --
Mr. Angel Vera
  Server Tools Developer for WTP and Rational
  Lotus Notes: Angel Vera/Toronto/IBM@IBMCA
  Tel: 905-413-5919 - E-Mail: arvera@xxxxxxxxxx
-----
Those who think that something is impossible,
should not interfere with those who are willing to do it. - Angel Vera

David Carver <dcarver@xxxxxxxxxxxxxxxx>
Sent by: wtp-releng-bounces@xxxxxxxxxxx

10/07/2008 06:00 PM

Please respond to
Webtools releng discussion list <wtp-releng@xxxxxxxxxxx>

Webtools releng discussion list <wtp-releng@xxxxxxxxxxx>
cc
Subject
[wtp-releng] API Tooling

>> I suspect this would go along way to people seeing these errors first
>> in their dev. environment, but someone
>> on the project has to create the meta (baseline) data first.
>>
>> Hope someone can have time to look into someday and report back if
>> it's good for the rest of us.
>
> I can't proceed much further on the build testing until some
> fundamental items change from the use of environment variables to the
> use of property files is implemented.  So this is a good secondary
> project to pursue anyways.
This is actually pretty easy to setup.   Chris Aniszczyk has written a
very good article on how to use API Tools and get it setup with a plugin.

https://www.ibm.com/developerworks/opensource/library/os-eclipse-api-tools/

You need to setup a Project base line.  So for WTP related plugins,
download and install the J2EE package and have it sitting on your
development machine somewhere.   This will be your base line package,
for Eclipse 3.4 and WTP 3.0.   When get to the step of setting up your
Baseline, point it to this installation.

Next you need to enable the API Tooling on any of your plugins that you
want it to work against.   Just click on a plugin project, and select
PDE Tools-> Setup API Tooling.   Select the projects you want it to be
enabled against.   This will enable a new project nature and builder on
those plugins and when a build is done again, it will run the api
tooling checks.

One of the checks it does do is to let you know when the minor version
needs to be incremented.  In fact, you'll get item in the markers and
problems view that will indicate that your minor version needs to be
updated if you make significant changes.

You also have some additional options if you are using a Java 5 or
greater JVM to add additional restrictions via annotations on what
people can and cannot do with the various methods and code.

Review the article and see if it meets the needs, but I think we can
replace the BVT checks by implementing the API Tooling on all the WTP
plugins.

Dave