[wtp-pmc] e4 Summit Trip Report

Hi,

As discussed on the call today, I'm sending this note out to share some news from the Eclipse e4 Summit that I attended last week. Please feel free to email me if you have any specific questions about e4 or the summit.

There is a growing opinion that the yearly release cycle, strict API (and internal) compatibility, and huge user base is stifling innovation in Eclipse. To counteract this, e4 is the code name for a project to re-invent Eclipse from the ground up. The main goals are:
  • Cleaner, simpler API for new users, taking advantage of all the lessons we've learned (known as the "20 things" needed to write a plugin)
  • Web enablement (SWT running in _javascript_ and/or Flex)
  • Ability to use scripting to write plugins
  • Full support for styling (i.e. CSS skinning/branding)
  • More flexible resource/project model

Several other features are also being discussed, including things like:
  • Declarative UI (the ability to quickly create UIs using xml instead of code)
  • Client/server support (e.g. using a workspace from another machine, expanding this to general support)
  • Modelling the workbench (i.e. EMF models for everything)

Plans and resources to do all of these things are just starting now, with the first release of e4 targeted for June 2010.

Compatibility is a big issue: some contributors feel compatibility statements will stifle innovation, but most point out that if there isn't compatibility we'd be branching the Eclipse community. The general opinion was that we need to provide compatibility with the current API via optional .compatibility plugins (as in Eclipse v2 -> v3), and any API breakage would have to be kept to a minimum and well documented. Any internal/non-standard usage will be broken.

Several current WTP components will likely have a larger role in e4 due to the increased use of _javascript_ and CSS in the platform. The e4 team wants to self-host as soon as possible, so having _javascript_ and CSS tools in the platform SDK was listed as a top priority. As the client/server (OSGi runtime) use increases, our JSP and server tools may become important to them as well.

The regular Eclipse release train will continue with Eclipse 3.5 (June 2009) and 3.6 (June 2010), and we expect further releases after that. The amount of new features in these releases will drop over time, but we expect maintenance releases will continue indefinitely even if e4 is a success.

Thanks,
Tim deBoer
Eclipse WTP PMC, RAD Release Architect and WebSphere Tools - IBM Canada
(905) 413-3503  (tieline 969)
deboer@xxxxxxxxxx

Back to the top