[wtp-pmc] Re: Dali review questions

Tim,

   I've added a few further comments in-lined below.

   Shaun

Neil Hauge wrote:
Tim,

Thanks for the detailed comments and questions.  Here are some responses inline...

Tim Wagner wrote:

I worked through a start-from-RDB case and had some questions/comments, which I included with my more general questions below.

  • I think the Glassfish link is wrong; I had to use:
  • I couldn’t figure out how to set the persistence provider, or even what the types of the values were supposed to be for the two text boxes. Some kind of hint as to what’s being looked for (directory? jar file? URL? other?) would be helpful right in the dialog. Better yet would be some kind of validation/browsing help. Also, could we set a default so I wouldn’t have to answer the question from scratch the next time?
This is an area that would be simplified by the concept of selecting a JPA Runtime, which would be extension based.  The provider field only needs to be specified if an application is dependent on a  particular provider.  Since we don't yet have the JPA Runtime concept implemented, we left this as an optionally specified text field to insure that no one was left out or favored.  Unfortunately this does result in a usability issue.
Shaun: The only reason to select a provider is if you're going to deploy to a Java EE 5 application server and you don't want to use the one provided by that server.  For example, you're running in JBoss and want to use TopLink  Essentials.  You typically won't fill this field in.  The value must be the fully qualified class name of the provider class--you have to know it.  It is possible to make this a class selection field with completion and a pop up dialog but we'd have to make it clear that it is an optional field that should only be filled in for the scenario I described.
  • Would it be possible to include a step-by-step example that includes setting up Derby or some other O/S DB? If there are issues with being inclusive of vendors, then I’m happy to have lots of such examples…my concern is just that struggling to get to the starting point of the Dali demo took me a long time and a lot of setup steps/patience.
Yes, to get configured for any kind of persistence tutorial takes a lot of work.  We should try to simplify this as much as possible with canned scripts.
Shaun: Based on comments in the review call I don't see any reason why we can't provide an example using all open source components for the demo.  We'll get on it.
  • What’s the experience inside WTP? Would we use facets to make this simpler? How else does it differ from the SE (containerless) case?
Right now the main difference is that for a WTP project we do not have the user alter the classpath, as we expect the target server in WTP will have already specified the correct classpath for the project.  Facets and a JPA runtime/library concept would certainly make project configuration easier.  This will be a top priority aftter the 0.5 release.
Shaun: Neil is right, developing JPA applications for deployment inside a WTP generated EAR is a little simpler.  Your Java EE 5 server classpath should contain all the necessary jars and you don't have to specify the persistence provider (see previous comment).  Right now you can use WTP to build Java EE 5 applications, you just have to hand edit the schema and version numbers of the various xml config files like application.xml and ejb-jar.xml to have them use the EE 5 schemas.  This should disappear when WTP supports generation of EE 5 applications.
  • How much annotation validation exists today? How hard will the migration to APT be? When will that happen?
There really isn't any annotation validation today in the way you are thinking of it.  All of the current validation is model based validation, which can apply to annotation or XML based persistence metadata.  In the future we will probably use APT based validation for specific annotation requirements (duplicate annotations, and other types of problems that are specific to annotations).  So there is no migration issue, and we will hopefully have some sort of APT support in before December.
  • Build path configuration in “Add persistence” wizard: Shouldn’t this be a checkbox, on by default, and then perhaps a button to get to the more complex setup dialog? Better yet would be offering to add the libraries automatically…I had to grovel around a little too much to get the libraries set up, and that felt automatable.
This is where the facet and JPA library type would crtainly simplify things.
  • Heuristic mapping guesses (substrings, nearest match, etc.)? Any thoughts on a visual surface for this process? (just curious…obviously not part of this release ;-)
With JPA defaults, the pure matches are done automatically, but ideally we would also have some sort of automated mapping process that does exactly what you are suggesting.  We have done this work before, so it is something we would likely move into Dali.
  • How hard will DTP migration be in 3.2?
We are optimistic that this won't be to painful given the similarity between RDB and DTP, and that we have mostly isolated this dependency to our db plug-in, so our core model and UI code should not have to change.
  • How much functionality is covered by your tests? (Same question I had for JSF.)
Probably around 50% at this point.  We hope to increase this as we approach 0.5.
  • User docs look pretty good – need some sections completed, links filled in, and minor proofreading. I noticed that sections 6.1 and 6.3 seem to be the same thing. Only major comment is to echo the “getting to the starting point was a real challenge” issue, and some step-by-step instructions for various DB providers would have been incredibly helpful. (I used Derby, but it could have been anything that didn’t require $ to download for experimentation.)
We will certainly look at how this experience can be improved.

The only other thing I might add to your slide deck is a brief (one slide) “development roadmap” to give some guidance on what features you imagine adding at what pace.

Will do.

Again, apologies for not having sufficient time in the schedule today. I’ll respond to Neil’s scheduling email separately.

Neil

--
Shaun Smith
Principal Product Manager