[wtp-pmc] Re: suggested requirements wording change

Tim,

Thx for the proposed change. I agree with the spirit but it sounds too much like a legal contract (I guess you've been talking to Janet too much). I'll wait for others to comment on the spirit, then we can wordsmith it.

Arthur Ryman,
IBM Software Group, Rational Division

phone: +1-905-413-3077, TL 969-3077
assistant: +1-905-413-2411, TL 969-2411
fax: +1-905-413-4920, TL 969-4920
mobile: +1-416-939-5063, text: 4169395063@xxxxxxx

"Tim Wagner" <twagner@xxxxxxx>

05/11/2006 02:42 PM

Arthur Ryman/Toronto/IBM@IBMCA
cc
"WTP PMC communications \(including coordination, announcements, and Group discussions\)" <wtp-pmc@xxxxxxxxxxx>
Subject
suggested requirements wording change

Existing text:

·  A WTP 1.5 should also be able to work on projects created by WTP 2.0 users and shared via a repository. Any new artifacts creates by WTP 2.0 should not break WTP 1.5. WTP 1.5 should either ignore or tolerate any new artifacts created by WTP 2.0.

Suggested text:

·  By default, WTP 1.5 should work on projects created by WTP 2.0 users and shared via a repository. Artifacts created by WTP 2.0 that are consistent with 1.5 features should not break WTP 1.5, and where possible WTP 1.5 should either ignore or tolerate any new artifacts in WTP 2.0 and subsequent releases. Attempts to use (or convert to) new 2.0 functionality that cannot be made backwards compatible with 1.5 must clearly identify to the user that 1.5 interoperability will be lost as a result; this confirmation should only happen the first time such a request occurs on a per project basis. Manual conversion of a 1.5 project to a 2.0-only status shall also be supported, and may enable performance or functionality advantages versus the interoperable mode. A preference shall exist that enables users to indicate that all new projects are created as 2.0-only (non-interop); the setting of this preference in the 2.0 release shall be “false”.

Back to the top