[wtp-pmc] FW: Project Antoine

From: leah.findlater@xxxxxxxxx [mailto:leah.findlater@xxxxxxxxx] On Behalf Of Leah Findlater
Sent: Tuesday, February 14, 2006 7:21 AM
To: Tim Wagner
Subject: Project Antoine

I'll be talking briefly tomorrow on the WTP PMC telecon about Project Antoine, a research project in the Department of Computer Science at the University of British Columbia (UBC) . The overall goal of the project is to understand  how we can effectively organize and present commands in feature-rich user interfaces, such as the Eclipse WTP user interface. As a first step in this research, we are planning to run a study to collect and analyze usage data for Eclipse WTP. Our hope is that the findings from this project will also be beneficial to the Eclipse WTP development team, and we plan to share the results for this purpose.

If you have any questions or comments, please feel free to contact me. I've also included a copy of the study FAQ below, which is taken from the project website ( http://www.cs.ubc.ca/~lkf/antoine).

Regards,

Leah Findlater

Email: lkf@xxxxxxxxx

Phone: 604-827-3988

Usage Study FAQ

Who can participate?
To participate in this study you must be a user of Eclipse WTP, currently using the IDE for at least 1 hour per week.

What does the study involve?
The study involves installing the Mylar usage monitor, then
using Eclipse WTP for your daily work and periodically sending back usage statistics that are collected by the monitor. Your only time commitment to the study will be to fill out a short questionnaire and use our automated facility for transmitting usage data. This should take approximately 10 minutes per week. We ask that you keep the monitor installed for at least one month in order to get a record of longer-term usage patterns.

The monitor records edits and navigations but does not record identifying information about you or the system you are working on (more detail below). If you choose to you can remain anonymous throughout the study by not providing any personal information and only using a randomly-generated ID to sign up. You are free to stop participating in the study at any time.

How can you participate?
The monitor plugin will be available for download after the study start date. To receive a notification email when the study start date is set, please contact Leah Findlater ( lkf-at-cs.ubc.ca) to sign up. No additional information about you is required -- just your email address, so that we can contact you.

We have extended the Mylar monitor plugin for this study. Mylar is
an Eclipse Technology Project and its usage monitor component may be used independently for wider data collection purposes.

Who is running this study?
This study is being conducted by Leah Findlater ( lkf-at-cs.ubc.ca ) as a part of her PhD thesis and is supervised by Dr. Joanna
McGrenere ( joanna-at-cs.ubc.ca ). The study is being funded by IBM Centers for Advanced Studies and by the Natural Sciences and Engineering Research Council of Canada (NSERC) .

What data is logged?
A log of your interaction history is collected. The log stores information about the program elements that you edit and navigate, but does not contain identifiable information about specific elements ( e.g. the fact that you've navigated to a Java project is stored, but the specific name of that project is not recorded). No identifying information about you or about the system on which you are working is recorded or transmitted with the usage data. In addition, the views that you use to navigate and edit are recorded. When submitting the information you may be prompted to answer a very short questionnaire, and can choose whether or not to do so. You will also have the option of viewing the information that will be transmitted and aborting the transmission.

After the study, the usage data will be stripped of all information identifying the participants, and we will use this data to determine what usage patterns exist across users and how we can use this to improve the organization of commands and functions in feature-rich user interfaces. Please note that the stripped usage data, containing no identification information, will be archived for future use, and may be made available to other researchers interested in improving the IDE user experience.

Back to the top