[wtp-pmc] Re: Single component discussion meeting minutes

Chuck,

+1

I won't be on the call tommorrow but I support this plan and recommend that the PMC approve it.

Arthur Ryman,
IBM Software Group, Rational Division

phone: +1-905-413-3077, TL 969-3077
assistant: +1-905-413-2411, TL 969-2411
fax: +1-905-413-4920, TL 969-4920
mobile: +1-416-939-5063, text: 4169395063@xxxxxxx

Chuck Bridgham/Raleigh/IBM@IBMUS

09/29/2005 11:27 AM

"'WTP PMC communications (including coordination, announcements, and Group discussions)'" <wtp-pmc@xxxxxxxxxxx>
cc
cbrealey@xxxxxxxxxx, Craig Salter/Toronto/IBM@IBMCA, deboer@xxxxxxxxxx, Der Ping Chou/Redmond/IBM@IBMUS, John Lanuti/Raleigh/IBM@IBMUS, kosta@xxxxxxx, naci.dai@xxxxxxxxxxxxx, Vijay Bhadriraju/Raleigh/IBM@IBMUS, Arthur Ryman/Toronto/IBM@IBMCA, David M Williams/Raleigh/IBM, tbashor@xxxxxxx, twagner@xxxxxxx, Kevin Haaland/Ottawa/IBM@IBMCA
Subject
Single component discussion meeting minutes

Single component meeting minutes:

On the call:   Arthur Ryman, Naci Dai, David Williams, Kathy Chan, Tim Wagner, Ted Bashor, Konstantin Komissarchik, Vijay Bhadriraju, John Lanuti

The meeting was held to propose and discuss restricting the WTP components to one per project due to the negative feedback received from multiple sources.

I introduced the meeting with a quick overview of the scenarios and requirements, and then explained the problems with the current solution:

"The component model is not supported by the platform/jdt teams, as this is not seen as an evolutionary change.   Too many existing clients would need to react which is not feasible., and sharing a single classpath across multiple modules is seen as a fatal flaw"

I opened the discussion up to the attendees to gather feedback on the proposal:

Ted Bashor
Ted Agreed with the proposal, but did concede a "mode" could be left in the current api if needed. Allowing the limited functionality in the multiple component case.  But did mention the problem of declaring api around the Project "facets", and with the proposed platform support of project filtering in 3.2, didn't see the reason to continue on this path in R1.0.

Naci Dai
Naci stressed the developer experience should be our first priority, and while WTP should attempt to satisfy the user requirements, this should only proceed if the platform can support us in a first class fashion.  Naci votes for the proposal of a single component, and stresses that the "Component" concept is still valid, and api should remain.

Arthur Ryman
Arthur also agrees with the proposal, and stated his disapproval of api "modes".  One mode could lead to two, and so on...  causing confusion and complexity.
Also brought up migration for existing workspaces.

Tim Wagner
Tim agreed to the change - and seconded the need for a smooth transition of existing customers

Kathy Chan
Kathy asked about existing component api - will it still exist?, and also agreed with BEA doing this now, so potential api in R1.0 won't need to absorb this change in the future.

Vijay Bhadriraju
Vijay asked because only one component per project will exist, do we really need the component concept at all?
I explained the component model captures dependency,flexible folder info, and other properties that make it a viable concept moving forward.

Because everyone on the call was in agreement for this restriction, I agreed to create a proposal for this change:

1) Declare the changed component api by end of day Friday (9/30)  - Will send out detailed api changes so people can react - changes will NOT go into this weeks IB. (Bugzilla: 108681)
2) Make changes to Wizard/UI that allows multiple components. (Bugzilla:  110983)
3) Create Line item for M9 to create wizard for migrating existing "multiple component" projects. (Done:  [110870] Migration of 0.7 workspaces with multiple components per project [high] )
4) Continue to define requirements and open bugzilla for nested module file structure on platform team (Project filters proposal).

I'll be attending next week's PMC call, and please send me email if you have immediate questions

Thanks - Chuck

Rational J2EE Tooling Team Lead
IBM Software Lab - Research Triangle Park, NC
Email:  cbridgha@xxxxxxxxxx
Phone: 919-254-1848 (T/L: 444)

Back to the top