Re: [wtp-pmc] RE: WTP Article for July JDJ

Excuse my bad typing. That last sentence should read:

JSF will NOW be in the J2EE subset.

Arthur Ryman,
Rational Desktop Tools Development

phone: +1-905-413-3077, TL 969-3077
assistant: +1-905-413-2411, TL 969-2411
fax: +1-905-413-4920, TL 969-4920
mobile: +1-416-939-5063, text: 4169395063@xxxxxxx
intranet: http://labweb.torolab.ibm.com/DRY6/

Arthur Ryman/Toronto/IBM@IBMCA
Sent by: wtp-pmc-bounces@xxxxxxxxxxx

07/12/2005 03:54 PM

Please respond to
"WTP PMC communications (including coordination, announcements,  and Group discussions)"

<mike.milinkovich@xxxxxxxxxxx>
cc
wtp-pmc@xxxxxxxxxxx, "'Bjorn Freeman-Benson'" <bjorn.freeman-benson@xxxxxxxxxxx>
Subject
[wtp-pmc] RE: WTP Article for July JDJ

Mike,

I agree. But if you look at the two diagrams, you'll see they are a little different. The charter diagram just shows 4 quadrants, but the article shows the explicit scope of JST and WST within the quadrants.

The scope JST is the J2EE subset of the JCP quadrant.

JDO is in the JCP quadrant but outside the J2EE subset, so is not in scope for JST.  The PMC agrees that JDO is more aligned with the Data Tools project.

The PMC is going to propose some clearer wording and a better, updated diagram. JSF will not be in the J2EE subset.

Arthur Ryman,
Rational Desktop Tools Development

phone: +1-905-413-3077, TL 969-3077
assistant: +1-905-413-2411, TL 969-2411
fax: +1-905-413-4920, TL 969-4920
mobile: +1-416-939-5063, text: 4169395063@xxxxxxx
intranet: http://labweb.torolab.ibm.com/DRY6/

"Mike Milinkovich" <mike.milinkovich@xxxxxxxxxxx>

07/12/2005 02:53 PM

Please respond to
mike.milinkovich

Arthur Ryman/Toronto/IBM@IBMCA
cc
<wtp-pmc@xxxxxxxxxxx>, "'Bjorn Freeman-Benson'" <bjorn.freeman-benson@xxxxxxxxxxx>
Subject
RE: WTP Article for July JDJ

Arthur,

My recollection is somewhat different.

First, as I recall, the test of whether a technology is in JST's scope is not whether it is a JSR. It is whether it is a defined piece of J2EE. That's what the top-right quadrant meant in my memory. The whole right side meant Java, with J2EE at the top, non-J2EE JCP technologies hovering around the middle and less standard technologies as you moved further down the axis.

Second, I recall discussing JDO explicitly on the creation review call, and it was used as an example of a "near-J2EE" technology that is out of scope initially.

Now this has changed with the various JCP machinations around JSR220 and JSR243, but I don't think that the charter document is actually wrong.

Does this make sense?