RE: [wtp-pmc] release review draft slide deck ACTION REQUIRED

The current SF update manager site is strictly for some projects that are hosted on SF (mainly Web service libs). As Jeffrey mentioned, there will be a time delay to obtain legal approval to redistribute any updates to these plug-ins with WTP, so by leaving them on SF, we can make them avaible to users who want the latest updates and are willing to accept the SF licence terms, which are displayed by the Update Manager as usual.

Arthur Ryman,
Rational Desktop Tools Development

phone: +1-905-413-3077, TL 969-3077
assistant: +1-905-413-2411, TL 969-2411
fax: +1-905-413-4920, TL 969-4920
mobile: +1-416-939-5063, text: 4169395063@xxxxxxx
intranet: http://labweb.torolab.ibm.com/DRY6/

Jeffrey Liu/Toronto/IBM@IBMCA
Sent by: wtp-pmc-bounces@xxxxxxxxxxx

06/26/2005 01:20 PM

Please respond to
"WTP PMC communications (including coordination, announcements,  and Group discussions)"

"WTP PMC communications (including coordination, announcements,  and Group discussions)" <wtp-pmc@xxxxxxxxxxx>
cc
"WTP PMC communications (including coordination, announcements, and Group discussions)" <wtp-pmc@xxxxxxxxxxx>, wtp-pmc-bounces@xxxxxxxxxxx, David M Williams <david_williams@xxxxxxxxxx>, Craig Salter/Toronto/IBM@IBMCA, "Matthew P. Schmidt" <matt@xxxxxxxxxxxxx>, Naci Dai <naci.dai@xxxxxxxxxxxxx>, Rick Ross <rick@xxxxxxxxxxxxx>
Subject
RE: [wtp-pmc] release review draft slide deck  ACTION REQUIRED

The original reason why we chose SF.net over the Eclipse download server to be the update site is because we were waiting for legal approvals from the Eclipse foundation. In my opinion, the only advantage that SF.net gives over the Eclipse download server is the ability to throw a new prereq version out in the open without waiting at the legal approval counter. However, when we do decide that a new prereq version is needed, we probably have to go through some remarkable testing anyway. Thinking optimistically, if we ask for legal approval early (just when we are thinking about updating the prereq version), then the time it takes to obtain legal approval should not be too far off from the time it takes to do everything else (testing, etc...). In that case, there should be minimal or no delay to "release" the update.

In conclusion, I think we should make the Eclipse download server our official update manager site. In addition, the Web page for the Eclipse update site can link to other update sites as friends (SF.net, JavaLobby, EclipseZone or whatever). If the friends' update sites want the new prereq version to be available earlier, that's fine. But we'll stick to the Eclipse download server as the official supported update site. Just my 2 cents.

Thanks,

Jeff

"Ed Burnette" <Ed.Burnette@xxxxxxx>
Sent by: wtp-pmc-bounces@xxxxxxxxxxx

06/25/2005 05:15 PM

Please respond to
"WTP PMC communications (including coordination, announcements,  and Group discussions)"

"WTP PMC communications (including coordination, announcements,  and Group discussions)" <wtp-pmc@xxxxxxxxxxx>
cc
"Matthew P. Schmidt" <matt@xxxxxxxxxxxxx>, Craig Salter/Toronto/IBM@IBMCA, Rick Ross <rick@xxxxxxxxxxxxx>, David M Williams <david_williams@xxxxxxxxxx>, Naci Dai <naci.dai@xxxxxxxxxxxxx>
Subject
RE: [wtp-pmc] release review draft slide deck  ACTION REQUIRED

I had problems with sf.net's web access too. JavaLobby/EclipseZone would be happy to offer a free area to host the update site. Let me know if you're interested.