From: David Carver <d_a_carver@xxxxxxxxx>
To: WTP Incubator Dev list <wtp-incubator-dev@xxxxxxxxxxx>
Date: 12/16/2007 10:24 AM
Subject: Re: [wtp-incubator-dev] Xalan

I believe we can include Xalan now, as it's been approved by IP for the
wtp-incubator.  It's also been approved for inclusion into orbit, I'm
just waiting for final committer rights to the orbit project.  In the
mean time, I believe we can just include the xalan 2.7.0 jar.  The one
thing to note, as David Williams has mentioned is that 2.9.0 of Xerces
may interfere with IBM's JDK 1.5.   The standard distribution of Xalan
includes Xerces which I'm going to unbundle and make it depend on the
eclipse orbit version when I get to it.

I'll try to work those dependency issues out with the orbit version, so
will probably need somebody with an IBM JDK to test it once I get orbit
version going.

At the momenent it isn't looking good for Saxon support.  I have an
outstanding email that I haven't heard back yet on from Michael Kay
about some code contribution pedigree items.   If don't hear within the
next couple of weeks, I'll with draw the request for inclusion in our
project.

With that said, I would think we could still do Saxon support as a
plugin, but host that support out on Sourceforge or another site outside
of Eclipse.   I've seen the ECF project do this for some of their
plugins that didn't pass Eclipse IP.   This way we can still have XSLT
2.0 support and also test the extensibility of the xslt contribution
mechanism.