Re: [wtp-dev] Improve JSON API, Databinding to provide advanced PDE like editor

I think it's a good idea. But like for pom.xml, I would prefer a JSON Editor instead of a rich Editor in most cases.

For example, in pom.xml Editor I use the xml editor and the dependency hierarchie. So by default I checked the preference to open on pom.xml and not the Eclipse Forms. If we add advanced editors for package.json and bower.json we should to add a preference like the one for the pom editor.

Best Regard's

Gautier de SAINT MARTIN LACAZE

Hi Guys,

I have developped an advanced editor inside typescript.java for tsconfig.json. See https://github.com/angelozerr/typescript.java/wiki/TSConfig-Editor-Features

Here a demo:

The UI checboxes, text field, tables are bounded to the JSON Document.

There are several bugs with synch of IJSONModel so sometimes you could have some troubles with UI which is not synced. To bind UI to the JSON Model, I have implemented JFace Databinding for JSON. See https://github.com/angelozerr/typescript.java/tree/master/eclipse/json/ts.eclipse.ide.json.core/src/org/eclipse/wst/json/core/databindin

I think we should really improved JSON API to update the JSON document, because with the existing API, we cannot update easily the JSON (I had to update JSON with document.replace, so ugly code -()

IMHO, I thinlk package.json, bower.json should provide the same advanced editors. To do that we could:

 * improve synch of JSON model
 * provide a very clean API for update JSON document
 * provide JFace Databinding for JSON
 * provide Eclipse Forms utilities that we could use for any JSON editors which wish to provide advanced editors like I have done for tsconfig.json

What do you think about that?

Regard's Angelo