This mailing list is for development of the Web Tools Platform
itself. Future questions regarding the JSF Tools subproject (which developed
and maintains the Web Page Editor also) would be better directed to the newsgroup
or forums. This URL should get you there: http://www.eclipse.org/newsportal/thread.php?group=eclipse.webtools.jsf.
There were some fairly significant changes made in this area for
Galileo. As you have correctly pointed out, the documentation was not updated
to reflect the changes – this was an oversight for which I apologize. I
will be logging a bug to track updating of the documentation as soon as I am
done attempting to describe what has changed and a little about why, here.
First, why were there changes? Well, we identified a couple of
issues that we couldn’t ignore and had to address. The first issue was
that, due to limitations we imposed on ourselves in the design, it wasn’t
going to be a simple matter to write new operations and get them into appropriate
plug-ins – they would all need to be “custom operations” or the
metadata would have to be included in plug-ins where it really didn’t
belong (in short, we wanted Trinidad metadata in a Trinidad plug-in, and our
previous design got in the way of that). The second issue was that a “custom
operation” could not have parameters, while the “built-in
operations” could – this both got in our way and we also saw it as
an undesirable design. So we changed things somewhat to address these issues.
There is now no difference between our “built-in”
operations and “custom” ones – there is one type of
operation, and it must be registered via an extension point, and referenced
slightly differently in metadata.
Before using your own operations, you must register them using
extension point element. An excerpt of a plugin.xml file registering the “CopyAttributeOperation”
The value of the class attribute is the fully-qualified
classname of the operation. The id is how we will reference the operation in
metadata – this id will be qualified with the ID of the plug-in that
declares this extension point, which in this case is “org.eclipse.jst.pagedesigner”
(so this operation’s qualified id is “org.eclipse.jst.pagedesigner.CopyAttributeOperation”).
Metadata that uses this operation must be declared via extension
point as described in the help – the basic registration and format of the
metadata file is the same as is documented, I will describe the changes to the
metadata format below.
Where before you would use the above-registered operation like
this, “<operation id=”CopyAttributeOperation”><parameter
value=”type”/></operation>”, you now need to use the
plugin-qualified id, like this:
There is no longer a “CustomTransformOperation” –
you register your operation and then reference it just as is described above
for the (previously “built-in”) CopyAttributeOperation.
So, for your particular case, you will need to register your
operation in your plug-in, something like so:
Then, your metadata needs to change like so (I’m assuming you
performed the above registration in a fictitious plug-in with the id “com.company.product.pluginid”
– you will need to change to suit your exact structure, of course):
your operation can now have parameters here, if so desired -->
You’ll also now need to qualify the CopyChildrenOperation –
all previous “built-in” operations are registered in the “org.eclipse.jst.pagedesigner”
plug-in, so with that as a qualifier, it becomes:
With these changes, you should be back in business. Please feel
free to contact me directly should you have further questions directly related
to this conversion process. Again, my apologies for the oversight in not correcting
the documentation – I am now going to log a bug. (I seem to recall that
we DID describe this change somewhere, on some WTP wiki page or in the
newsgroup, perhaps, although I can’t seem to locate that announcement at
<![endif]>Ian (JSF Tools Project)
From: Nicolas Sax
Sent: Thursday, November 05, 2009 5:06 AM
Subject: [wtp-dev] Problem with extending Web Page Editor
extended my Web Page Editor in Eclipse Europa by creating a Plugin Project and
using Design-Time Tag Metadata.
Eclipse Europa everything worked fine. Now I would like to upgrade to Galileo,
the online help documentation seems to be the same, so i thought the plugin
should still be working.
describe what i wanted:
created a new Tag in an xml file(that is included into my plugin
project) for a Tag library:
the online help describes the transform method in the class SpocPageOperation(i appended it to the mail) should be called.
But if i debug the plugin project, and set a breakpoint at the strart of the
transform method nothing happens, the method is never called.
So the element i just created on the Web page editor doesn't appear as i
described it in the transform method, i just can see a bold red name of the tag
I tried a lot of things, but because of the docoumentation that is similar to
europa i thought i dont have to...
So maby you know where i could find the error.
would be verry helpful if you could answer this.
This message may contain legally privileged or confidential
information and is therefore addressed to the named persons only. The recipient
should inform the sender and delete this message, if he/she is not named as
addressee. The sender disclaims any and all liability for the integrity and
punctuality of this message. The sender has activated an automatic virus
scanning, but does not guarantee the virus free transmission of this message.