Skip to main content

[Date Prev][Date Next][Thread Prev][Thread Next][Date Index][Thread Index] [List Home]
RE: [wtp-dev] Need to restructure our CVS Directories

What is the recommended practice for carrying changes over than are not committed before this happens? Will exporting the patch from the old locations and importing patches into new locations work or do we need to do something else? I am in a middle of some feature work that I am not yet ready to release and I don't like the idea of committing changes before they are ready to be released.
I have to say that this is pretty poor timing. With most of the committers doing feature work right now (which typically involves longer cycles before the work can be committed), I imagine there would be other people who would find themselves in a similar situation to my own. It would be better, in my opinion, to wait until we are in a bug fix mode (probably some time in the Spring) when most people will not be holding on to changes for a long time and it will be easier to agree on a date.
At the very least the exact date/time of when this will happen should be communicated at least a few days in advance.
- Konstantin

From: wtp-dev-bounces@xxxxxxxxxxx [mailto:wtp-dev-bounces@xxxxxxxxxxx] On Behalf Of David M Williams
Sent: Tuesday, October 23, 2007 12:10 PM
To: wtp-dev@xxxxxxxxxxx
Subject: [wtp-dev] Need to restructure our CVS Directories

See the above document for the reasons why ... or, the reasons why I think it is necessary and desirable.

Initially I was thinking we'd do this "after the next milestone", but some I have talked to said "the sooner the better". Which, as far as I know, might be as early as after the next I-build!

So, please take a few minutes to understand the issues, and complain if that seems too disruptive too early.

The main disruption for committers is that you will have to create a new workspace ... and re-checkout freshly any projects you have in your workspace!
Hence, any code that "you have almost ready to check in" should be checked in ... even if not quite released for a build this week.

Additionally, any adopters that literally build WTP will have to adjust as well.

Also, I know there are some teams (such as VE) that have "team project sets" that will have to be updated to pull from the new repository locations.

Not to mention, our map files and perhaps our build will have to be modified to find the code. I would not be surprised if we don't have good builds for a few days while issues are sorted out.

So, it's no small chore.

Comments welcome.

Notice: This email message, together with any attachments, may contain information of BEA Systems, Inc., its subsidiaries and affiliated entities, that may be confidential, proprietary, copyrighted and/or legally privileged, and is intended solely for the use of the individual or entity named in this message. If you are not the intended recipient, and have received this message in error, please immediately return this by email and then delete it.

Back to the top