Re: [wtp-dev] Faceted Project Framework API to use Java 5 language features

This plan sounds pretty good, Konstantin. I would recommend, though, that even before plugin versions are incremented, that the new code be made available in a branch, so committers can pull it into their workspace and review it and test it in their development environment. To avoid reviewers from having to update the pre-req ranges during this review stage,
you could temporarily leave the version number the same I think ... that is mostly a production runtime need.

Plus, I'm 99% sure everything will be fine ... but ... for me anyway, if I can't see it in my development environment, then it's just not quite comprehensible to me.

You can pick your own branch name, but most use a name that denotes what it's for, and that it's temporary ... such as proposed_facet_generics or similar.

This may sound like overkill, but ... since most of us are not as familar with generics as you are, so we could use the sneak peek.

Make sense?

Also, I've lost track, what's the API status? Are they already? If not, is that planned for WTP 2.0?

Thanks,

"Konstantin Komissarchik" <kosta@xxxxxxx>
Sent by: wtp-dev-bounces@xxxxxxxxxxx

02/07/2007 07:04 PM

Please respond to
"General discussion of project-wide or architectural issues."        <wtp-dev@xxxxxxxxxxx>

"General discussion of project-wide or architectural issues." <wtp-dev@xxxxxxxxxxx>
cc
Subject
[wtp-dev] Faceted Project Framework API to use Java 5 language        features

PMC just approved the plan to let Faceted Project Framework use Java 5 language features for WTP 2.0 release. This e-mail details the plan of action.

First of all, changes to the API to use generics are fully source and binary backwards compatible with existing clients. Wherever enhancing the API to use Java 5 language features would have caused API breakage, the changes were not made. I have the changes ready locally and we will roll them out as follows:

1. Fix the version ranges on all of the referring plugins so that they will be able to accept the new version of the Faceted Project Framework plugins. See my previous e-mail for information regarding this. I have made the necessary changes locally on my machine and can release them unless I hear objections from plugin owners. I’d like this step to be completed as soon as possible. How about right after this week’s I-build is declared?

2. Once #1 is complete and we have a build ready that includes that change, I will send an e-mail to this mailing list containing the new version of the Faceted Project Framework plugins. They will be compiled and ready to drop into an existing build for testing. The interested parties at this point can try out these plugins and report any problems.

3. Assuming that #2 goes smoothly and any reported problems are corrected, the changes to the Faceted Project Framework will be released into the build right after M5 is declared. Then we will have all of M6 to flush out any lingering issues.

Questions? Comments?

- Konstantin

Notice:  This email message, together with any attachments, may contain
information  of  BEA Systems,  Inc.,  its subsidiaries  and  affiliated
entities,  that may be confidential,  proprietary,  copyrighted  and/or
by email and then delete it.