[Date Prev][Date Next][Thread Prev][Thread Next][Date Index][Thread Index]
Re: [wtp-dev] Java EE 5 projects support contribution by SAP
- From: Naci Dai <naci.dai@xxxxxxxxxxxxx>
- Date: Thu, 14 Sep 2006 07:40:20 +0300
- Delivered-to: firstname.lastname@example.org
- User-agent: Thunderbird 184.108.40.206 (Windows/20060719)
Thank you for the detailed note. It would be excellent if you can
create a new bugzilla item, and attach your plugin for JEE 5 support so
that we can review your contribution.
The proper place to discuss these would be during the planning calls.
We can also determine what else needs to change for better JavaEE 5
Tools, integration with Dali etc.
The exact time of the planning call is not determined, but we should
announce it soon.
As you may remember, about two months ago, we suggested to implement
support for Java EE 5 projects in WTP. Bug 149007  was created to
track the request.
Since that time we have gained better in-depth knowledge of the WTP
codebase. We saw that the changes needed are much bigger than we have
expected at the beginning. Because the changes are quite significant
for maintenance release, this led us to the decision to give up the
contribution for the R1.5.x maintenance codeline, but work only for
the R2.0 development codeline.
What we have now is modifications of the WTP plugin that add support
for Java EE 5 project. The support is not still full, but it is on a
stage already working and useful. Features added by the patch follow:
* New version constants for Java EE 5. Version conversion
tools are also updated.
* New facet version for Java EE 5 projects: web 2.5, ejb 3.0,
ear 5, etc.
* New Project wizards are updated to allow creation of Java EE
* Java EE 5 projects are created with deployment descriptors
xml files that refer to the new Java EE 5 xml schemas for validation.
* New icons (showing the newer version) for the deployment
descriptors node in the j2ee navigator view.
* The Xdoclet is disabled for EJB 3.0 projects. This is
because Java 5 annotations are used.
* Import and Export for Java EE 5 projects.
* Appclient 5 projects are not yet supported.
* Web and Ejb projects still create web.xml and ejb-jar.xml
although this is not required. However this does not conflict with the
Java EE 5 specification.
* The model is not updated to recognize metadata annotations
in the source code. As in J2EE 1.4 project the model only recognizes
the project elements in the deployment descriptor. However, this does
not affect the correct deployment of projects that use metadata
* The children of deployment descriptor node for EJB 3.0 are
removed. This is to avoid frustration for the user who annotates a
bean and does not see it appearing under the deployment descriptor
node in the j2ee navigator view.
* The Java EE 5 has basic metadata annotations support
provided by JDT tools (without additional WTP features as wizards,
We have tested the implementation against our SAP-specific runtime
target - the j2ee application server in the SAP NetWeaver platform. We
have not the opportunity to test against other Java EE 5 runtime
targets, because there are not any implemented yet.
We have also run j2ee automatic tests against our implementation. We
also updated the tests where appropriate to test Java EE 5
functionality. Patch will be provided as well.
We think that our changes are good base for adding support for Java EE
5 projects in WTP 2.0. Moreover, they touch some important aspects of
the WTP 2.0 Plan :
* investigate: import a JEE5 project (help wanted)
* investigate: export/publish a JEE5 project (help wanted)
* validate a JEE5 project (help wanted)
I am going to close the feature requests for the R1.5.x contribution
and create a new one for R2.0 with the patch attached there. But first
we want to have discussion with WTP J2EE developers about the topic
via telecon meeting. Is it possible to use the status telecon 
tomorrow? I see that it has not been held for the last 2-3 weeks. If
not possible, then may be the pmc call on Tuesday?
NW AS JS TOOLS JEE (BG)
*SAP Labs Bulgaria*
wtp-dev mailing list
itu teknokent ari-1 25
Maslak, Istanbul 34469
+90 (533) 580 2393 (cell)
+90 (212) 328 0825 (phone)
+90 (212) 328 0521 (fax)