Skip to main content

[Date Prev][Date Next][Thread Prev][Thread Next][Date Index][Thread Index] [List Home]
[wtp-dev] Minutes of the WTP Status Telecon, 2006-07-20

See WTP Status Telecons [1] for more information.



Amy Wu
Arthur Ryman
Chris Bealey
Chuck Bridgham

Craig Salter

David Williams

Der Ping Chou
Jeffrey Liu

Jochen Krause
John Lanuti

Kathy Chan

Keith Chong

Larry Dunnell

Larry Issac
Lawrence Mandel

Naci Dai
Nitin Dahyabhai

Rob Frost

Steve Francisco
Tim Deboer

Tim Wagner
Ted Bashor

1. Action Items [1] - Jeffrey Liu
148681 nor P3 PC wst.wsi-inbox@xxxxxxxxxxx NEW --- [action] Create a test plan for the wst.wsi component
149750 nor P3 PC jeffliu@xxxxxxxxxx NEW --- [action] [performance] Some J2EE performance testcases ar...

2 bugs found.


2. WTP 1.0.3 Build Status
- David Williams

7/20 - begin week-long-no-changes phase, adopter can/should do acceptance testing

7/26 - prepare update site/zips, etc.

7/28 - official 1.0.3 release

David - All teams reported pass

Arthur - Do we have sufficient testing against 1.0.3?

[action] Jeff to ask for feedbacks from adopters and the WTP user community.

Arthur - We should also announce that 1.0.3 will be our last maintenance release for the 1.0 stream.

What if customer issues come up?

Arthur - We'll evaluate the issue. We will not open another 1.0 maintenance release in the absent of requirements.

Tim - Preferred approach is to fix it in 1.5.x.

David - FYI, there are about 20 bug fixes in 1.0.3

2.1 Open WTP 1.0.3 Bugs [1] - Jeffrey Liu


3. WTP 1.5.1 Build Status - David Williams

David - Not building well, JUnit not running. John also reported some regression

David - Should we continue to smoke test?

John - These regression concerns functions such as deleting projects, adding things to EARs, etc. Other components can continue to smoke test

David - We can do another round of quick smoke test after these fixes go in

David - Highlight for the maintenance plan and policies:

Changes to extension points, APIs, features (including major UI changes) requires PMC approval. Send an email to the wtp-pmc mailing list to reqest for approval

UI and PII changes should keep to a minimal

Major dates:

8/15 Deadline for "Hot bugs" to be proposed from adopters.

9/15 Release candidate

9/29 1.5.1 Release (as part of Callisto Maintenance Release)

1Q 2007 1.5.2

[action] Jeff to add a paragraph about breaking changes to non-APIs

Ted - Does some sort of facet ID migration utility sound like something we can put in for 1.5.1?

Ted - These are internal IDs that may have changed between 1.0 and 1.5. There IDs are stored in the facet XML file.

Arthur - Not something we want to do in a maintenance release. Something that we should do for 2.0

3.1 Hot Bugs [1] - Jeffrey Liu


3.2 Hot Bugs Requests [1] - Jeffrey Liu


David - Bugs 149670, 149673, 149807 and 149815. These JEE 5 enhance requests are too much of a change for a maintenance release. In 1.5.1, we can probably do things like better toleration for unknown artifacts

4. Component-level Planning - Tim Wagner

Tim - We have started the planning effort for 2.0. At the project level, we have items like JEE 5 support, the primary supported VM, etc. We also need some component level planning. I want to pull component leads for inputs.

Arthur - Previously this was done using a mix of bugzilla and milestone XML files. We should continue to use bugzilla to track individual items, but we need something better for overall user/adopter presentation.

Proposal from Arthur:

On the telecon today we discussed the use of Bugzilla as the primary way to record plan items. One of the problems is that there will be a lot of items and we need a better way to group them, for example, into Themes. I suggest we use the URL field in Bugzilla for this purpose.

We should define Theme documents on the Wiki. These documents can point to more detailed specs in our Web site. We should use the Theme documents to classify the Bugzilla entries by entering the URL of the Theme document in the Bugzilla URL field. We can then develop reports that group Bugzilla entries by URL.

We can also use the Theme documents to provide some level of hierarchy, say by adopting a naming convention for the URLs or using fragment ids for subtopics on a Theme page.

In the past, we generated Milestone Plan reports from Bugzilla by running a script and committing the generated report to CVS (which then refreshes the Web site). This meant that the reports were always slightly out of date. We should convert these scripts to PHP so they are executed on demand and therefore always up to date.

Tim - Any items from individual components?

Tim - Alignment of the proxy preference pages?

Tim D./Chris - We need to make sure the Eclipse proxy preference page will provide all the functionality that the WTP proxy preference page provides. If so, we can remove the WTP proxy preference page.

5. Other Business - Open

David - First WTP 2.0 milestone is 8/24. Theme is bug fixes and Eclipse 3.3.

Arthur - Will we cut over to Java 5?

Not at this point.

Tim - Any support for annotation will need Java 5. Java 5 will be the primary platform. Dependency on Java 6 will need to be handled delicately.

David - Just a reminder that we should not introduce unnecessary Java 5 dependencies

[action] Jeff to add Java 5 discuss to next week's agenda

Jeffrey Liu
IBM Rational Software
IBM Toronto Lab.
8200 Warden Ave. Markham, Ontario, L6G 1C7
Internal mail: D3/UMZ/8200/MKM (D3-268)
T/L: 969 3531
Tel: (905) 413 3531
Fax: (905) 413 4920

Back to the top