Re: [wtp-dev] Re: Improve WTP startup performance, use manifest instead of plugin.xml

Jeffrey,

Please do not make this change for the RDB component.

RDB component must run on Eclipse 3.0.  I believe if you deliver this change, you will break us for Eclipse 3.0.

Larry Dunnell
RAD Data Tools and DB2 Tooling
IBM DB2 Information Management Software

Notes address: Lawrence E Dunnell/Redmond/IBM@IBMUS
Internet address: ledunnel@xxxxxxxxxx
tel: 425 949 1058
tie line: 349 4422

Jeffrey Liu <jeffliu@xxxxxxxxxx>
Sent by: wtp-dev-bounces@xxxxxxxxxxx

05/27/2005 10:18 AM

Please respond to
"General discussion of project-wide or architectural issues."

wtp-dev@xxxxxxxxxxx
cc
Subject
[wtp-dev] Re: Improve WTP startup performance,        use manifest instead of plugin.xml

Component leads,

We have yet to convert our plugin.xml to manifest. Since I've already made the change in my local workspace, I'll go ahead and commit all of them unless you object.

Thanks,

Jeffrey Liu
IBM Rational Software - Performance Analyst
IBM Toronto Lab.
8200 Warden Ave. Markham, Ontario, L6G 1C7
Internal mail: D3/R8V/8200/MKM (D3-268)
T/L: 969 3531
Tel: (905) 413 3531
Fax: (905) 413 4920
jeffliu@xxxxxxxxxx

Jeffrey Liu/Toronto/IBM

05/15/2005 02:26 PM

wtp-dev@xxxxxxxxxxx
cc
Subject
Improve WTP startup performance, use manifest instead of plugin.xml

I've done some measurements of using manifest.mf verses plugin.xml. Results suggest that using manifest.mf can improve startup performance. Details below:
manifest.mf (sec) plugin.xml (sec)
Cold startup (reboot, new install) - elapsed time 49.9 54.2
Cold startup (reboot, existing install) - elapsed time 22.8 24.4
Warm startup - elapsed time 4.5 4.7

The numbers are based on 5 sample runs each. In case of cold startup, it shows ~8% improvement. Althought warm startup is not as impressive and that users will probably not notice it, still, this is a cheap investment with nice gain. I suggest we do this in M5. Here's what needs to be done:

1. Open up your plugin.xml in the Plug-in Manifest Editor. In the Overview tab, there's a link that creates the manifest.mf file. Click that link.

2. Switch to the Runtime tab and make sure your packages are exported. If they are not, add them to the list.

3. Save and close the editor. Commit and release your changes.

This change does not need to be coordinated since you can have plug-ins that use plugin.xml and other plug-ins that use manifest.mf. It's a very simple change, should only take 15 minutes. Can plug-in owners put in this change when they have a chance? Let me know if you have any concerns.