Re: [wtp-dev] XML editor Content Assist set to unconstrained?

While on this issue, is there any way to be notified when cases are created in eclipse bug system regarding certain categories ? Like the xml and related components ?

-max

Yep, feature request is most appropriate, we'll discuss issues there.
(You might search for "constrained" ... I think I recall some discussion
already, but not sure if there or on newsgroup).

In short, content assist was left unconstrained, since there's other,
more guided ways to add from constrained list ... 'insert element'
I believe it its.

So, let's continue disucssion alternatives/improvements in feaure
requests.

David

Steen Lehmann <slehmann@xxxxxxxxxx>
Sent by: wtp-dev-bounces@xxxxxxxxxxx
04/15/2005 08:56 AM
Please respond to
"General discussion of project-wide or architectural issues."

"General discussion of project-wide or architectural issues."
<wtp-dev@xxxxxxxxxxx>
cc

Subject
[wtp-dev] XML editor Content Assist set to unconstrained?

I'm using the latest WST plugins built from HEAD, and am trying to find
out why the content assist makes many more suggestions than might be
expected, e.g. for a content model with a sequence (A?, B?, C?), the
content assist will always suggest A, B and C regardless of the existing
content (e.g. B and C may already be present).

This turns out to be partly because AbstractContentAssistProcessor:1593
(in o.e.wst.xml.ui.internal.contentassist) hardcodes the value
ModelQuery.EDIT_MODE_UNCONSTRAINED in all calls to getInsertActions,
which returns actions for the legal completions, and is perfectly
capable of filtering out suggestions for existing content - with the
exception mentioned below :)

Setting the value to EDIT_MODE_CONSTRAINED_STRICT is better, but runs
into another issue. The text used for starting the completion ('<') is
erroneously considered #PCDATA, and so all suggestions are evaluated as
invalid by the schema validator used to sieve away illegal suggestions
(this happens in DOMValidator.createContentSpecification:144, in
xml.core.internal.contentmodel.internal.util).

Is someone working on this? Because of the recent package moves I'm
unable to see the Resource History on any of these files, so I can't
really tell. If not, I'll open a bug and attach a patch, if necessary.

Kind regards,

-- Steen

Steen Lehmann
Software Engineer Consultant