Re: [ui-best-practices-working-group] Notifications

I suspect my workflow is pretty close to yours, Eike, since you're the one that suggested it to me. :-) I use one Oomph-installed copy of eclipse per workspace, and I have one workspace per branch+project combination. I usually have multiple open at the same time.

I also wouldn't want to get spammed by irrelevant notifications, but I don't think that having focus is the criteria I'd use for determining if a notification is relevant. If a background copy of Eclipse is waiting for my input to proceed with an operation (it needs a password, a confirmation, or a disambiguation), I probably want to know about it no matter what copy of Eclipse it came from. I'd hate to return to a copy of Eclipse that I thought was installing updates in the background only to discover that it had been waiting for me to click "Are you sure?".

However, if a copy of Eclipse is just informing me that it completed some sort of automatic sync or finished an operation I probably don't want the notification no matter what copy of Eclipse it came from. I think that filtering notifications based on focus is the sort of thing I'd only want if Eclipse was already overusing notifications... and if we have strong guidelines for when notifications are permitted, that shouldn't be the case.

On Wed, Oct 5, 2016 at 10:07 PM Eike Stepper <stepper@xxxxxxxxxx> wrote:
Am 06.10.2016 um 06:45 schrieb Stefan Xenos:
> From the sounds of the initial discussion above, it sounds like everyone here likes the idea of native notifications.
I fear that I'm not fully aware of the difference between the options. But I'm frequently (almost always) in a situation
where I have multiple IDEs running and switch between them. Reasons can be that I'm switching from a "working IDE" to a
"researching IDE" or that I'm switching from one working IDE to another one (for example during longer test executions).
I think that I would like to see only notifications of the IDE that currently has the focus. Notifications from IDEs not
in focus would just distract me. Would that be possible with these OS-level notifications?

Cheers
/Eike

----
http://www.esc-net.de