[ui-best-practices-working-group] form toolkit look and feel

It would be interesting to hear opinion of the UI working group members about Forms Toolkit look and feel. There are somehow abstract guidelines about using and applicability of the Forms Toolkit in the Eclipse UI guidelines and perhaps those need to be clarified. It is actually been brought up by one of the users, but I don't want to link that discussion here because it been somehow heated. Since reporter stated that he won't be bringing it to the UI group attention, I am taking the liberty to do so in a hope that I will be able to reflect his concerns.

So, the complain was about the flattenes of the UI based on the Forms Toolkit and that it looks quite alien on Mac OS X (flat square buttons vs. Mac's roundish fancy buttons). Then reporter evolved his own theory that it is ok to have flat buttons in some cases (like editing properties), but it is not ok to use those flat buttons if they somehow related to actions on the data behind given form. He used Mylyn's Task Editor as example and demanded "Submit" button to be made non-flat for this reason and after that tried to generalize the use case around action-related buttons.

While Submit button in Mylyn's Task Editor has other issues (not really related to this topic, and Mik might be talking about that on one of the meetings), my interpretation of Forms Toolkit guidelines is that all widgets inside the same form should be using consistent look, regardless of their actions, hence the whole issue of "weird-looking" buttons on Mac OS X need to be addressed globally, so all buttons should look consistent, and rendered consistently with the platform UI (even when using SWT.FLAT flag).

 What do you think?

 regards,
 Eugene

Back to the top