Re: [ui-best-practices-working-group] Whats the best practice for "Link with editor" if the editor contains multiple resources?

This sounds like something the Common Navigator could support - the
Resource Navigator has been replaced by it in at least the Resource
Perspective 3.3. I think this is a feature request you should enter to
Platform UI rather than a best practise for us to discuss here.

Tod

Mindaugas Idzelis <idzelis@xxxxxxxxxx>
Sent by: ui-best-practices-working-group-bounces@xxxxxxxxxxx
03/27/2007 10:05 PM
Please respond to
User Interface Architecture Working Group
<ui-best-practices-working-group@xxxxxxxxxxx>

ui-best-practices-working-group@xxxxxxxxxxx
cc
Gary Johnston <gjohnsto@xxxxxxxxxx>
Subject
[ui-best-practices-working-group] Whats the best practice for "Link with
editor" if the editor contains multiple resources?

I'm trying to find out what the general consensus for a UI design concern
I'm currently facing. I have an editor that displays things that are also
displayed in the various navigators (common, resource, package
explorer,etc) like web pages, files, etc. If I enable "Link with editor"
on the navigator, when I click in the editor, the IResource that the
editor is currently editing is shown in the Navigator. This is not exactly
what I want. I would rather have the selected resource within the editor
synchronize with the same display of that resource in the navigator.

I was able to get this function by manually listening to selection changes
in my editor, and on selection changes to set the same selection to the
various resource navigation views (Really, all ShowInTarget views)

Then someone suggested to me that I was doing something that was not
"consistent" with the way that base Eclipse behaves. Thus, I'm posing this
question to this mailing list to get some thoughts on this issue:

Would it be annoying or useful to have the "Link with editor" option
automatically synchronize with the selection of the editor, instead of
just the editors underlying resource?

A more convervative approach for this synchronization function is
something that already is found in various places inside Eclipse. You can
use the "Show in..." context menu instead. This displays a contet menu
labeled: "Show In..." -> followed by a sub menu of the views that are
ShowInTarget compatible.

I see this as being an issue to all editors that also show Resources.
(UML, Web, Database, etc)

Thanks,

Mindaugas Idzelis
ui-best-practices-working-group mailing list
ui-best-practices-working-group@xxxxxxxxxxx