[ui-best-practices-working-group] FW: UI Best Practices

Discussion about updating the best practices guide.

From: Jin Li [mailto:jinli@xxxxxxxxxx]
Sent: Wednesday, January 10, 2007 10:53 AM
To: Susan Yeshin
Cc: Bob Fraser
Subject: Re: UI Best Practices

Bob / Susan,

Here's a first stab at answering the questions. Sorry for the delay in replying, and I am sure there will be follow-up on these.

cheers,

Jin Li
IBM Canada Ltd.
Tel: 905-413-2857
Fax: 905-413-4974
Internet: jinli@xxxxxxxxxx

Susan Yeshin/Toronto/IBM

20/12/2006 02:54 PM

Jin Li/Toronto/IBM@IBMCA

cc

Subject

UI Best Practices

Hi Jin,

For the Best Practices workgroup, can I get your opinion/plans/answers for the following issues:

Who owns the guidelines and will decide which comments to include?

Jin>> At this point, I think myself, Kimberley Peter and Kevin Haaland owns the Eclipse UI guidelines.

Is there a target date for the next update?

Jin>> No target date, since we haven't been able to ante up enough time to work on the v3.x updates. Hence, one of the reasons for forming this workgroup to put more focus and resource on updating the guidelines.

What would you like from the UI workgroup?

Jin>> More resource to help updating the guidelines. Have the community to collaborate to work on the update. To that end, we have already created a "sandbox" to have the community to contribute. It's on the eclipsepedia: http://wiki.eclipse.org/index.php/User_Interface_Guidelines

Would you like to come to a meeting, or to know when guidelines are being discussed?

Jin>> Yes. Last year I was swamped with Rational tools release. This week I have a meeting conflict, but I plan to attend.

Who is responsible for keeping the guidelines up-to-date?

Are there future plans for the guidelines? (update with release, update every quarter, new ownership, expand guidelines...)

How big and detailed to you expect these to be? Where do these guidelines end and Windows guidelines begin?

When there are new guidelines added, or if guidelines are changed, will project owners be informed?

How do you contribute comments to the guidelines using the wiki? On the discussion page attached to the 2.x version? It only has two entries whereas the 3.x has none.
        -Are the comments read? How do we know?

Jin>> See the sandbox, eclipsepedia. We have a few internally that's ready to be "published" on the wiki, but haven't done so yet.

Is there communication on the ui-dev-platform mailing list about the guidelines?

Jin>> probably should, but again we haven't got our project management act together :-)

How can someone become more involved and contribute information for a section?

      -> Should someone with an idea contact you and Kim, or is there a larger group responsible for the guidelines?

Jin>> Going forward, I prefer contribution and discussion among the community (vs. close door). It's open source, and we should encourage the community to collaborate, share and contribute to this work (and thus have passion and buy-in for implementing/following the guidelines)

At the meeting today we spoke briefly about the guidelines, but the status of them and how to contribute was a bit fuzzy. I said I would find out what I could. Any information that will help us focus as a team and individuals is helpful.

Thanks,

Susan Yeshin

Information Architect for Rational Installation and Test
IBM Toronto Lab
D3 - 446
syeshin@xxxxxxxxxx
(905) 413-3662