Re: [udig-devel] udig and community

On Saturday 21 February 2009 09:44:00 andrea antonello wrote:

> My proposals:
>
> -meet to do a cleanup of JIRA, redistribution of bugs on
> active/willing developers
> -better define a roadmap. The plugin system is great but also a
> suicide bomb in an anarchy.
Yes, this is the reason why I had decided to direct the axios effort to new
functionalities. Refractions people was doing an excellent and big effort to
maintain the code base. But probably, now is time to collaborate.

> -meet to do some bugfixing together (so newer developers can be
> assisted be senior udig developers)
> -ony after that do some new features code sprint. I know fun is the
> most welcome, but first things first

maybe you could begin a new wiki page with this ideas. Then we could work in
it (goals, actual stauts, future, resources. etc). Now axios is working
analyzing JIRA bugs (1.2.x) . My idea is offer our help to solve it, but first I
need talk with the local stakeholders before.  I expect to have the Axios
goals clear the next week.

> With this I am not criticizing anyone or anything, I hope that is
> clear. It is a comment about how I see a sane community.
> Udig has infinite potential but is in a transition phase. Why in
> almost every presentation I do about JGrass they ask me why I didn't
> migrate into QGis or Gvsig or even Jump?!? I have no problem to answer
> that question, since I am still 100% sure I did the right thing, but
> it hurts to hear that Udigis still not in the mouth of everyone. :)
>
> Please give me some feedback, of any type.
> My 2 cents,
> Andrea
cheers
--